E L V E N

Edited on 26 December 2020. 

❤️

The rain has lost the ambient temperature of early fall, freezing and paling everyone's skin on contact. The path through the park was muddy water in motion, filling deep puddles that hid the ruts of dryer weather. To feel it wasn't enjoyment, not fun like the gentle sunshine of springtime, yet it was a part of life, and Momo wanted to feel it just the same. The Takeshita's home transformed into a wonderland of twinkle lights. The smell of gingerbread, honey, wine, and lemon flew around the house like a ghost. Osamu's stomach grumbled every time he and his brother passed it. Mr. Takeshita loved icy months as it reminded him of his home, Ireland.

"Honey! Come down here!"

Momo rushed into the kitchen as her father called her. She tied her hair into a ponytail and looked over his shoulder. He held a large piece of paper in his hands—a plane ticket to Dublin for one person who leaves tomorrow afternoon.

"Oh! Uncle Liam got through with it?" asked Momo, very excited.

"Yes, however, it's only one ticket."

"That's alright," spoke Momo, "it's not the first time I'm going to spend Christmas alone."

Mr. Takeshita wasn't delighted with his daughter. He hated to leave her alone, even if it was only for a matter of seven to ten days. His stepbrother, Liam O'Connor, lived in Ireland, and his yearly present was a plane ticket for his brother to come over and visit him. Momo managed to go over a few times; however, she couldn't join because of her mother in the past years. Yua wanted to spend more time with her and the winter holidays were always open because she didn't have any appointments.

"I know," sighed Momo, "but this year, you aren't even going to your mother's because she will be in the states."

"What is she doing there?"

"I don't know," groaned Mr. Takeshita, "anyhow, are you sure you aren't going to be lonely? I can take some money from your savings and-"

"No, no, no! We need that money to pay for my education!"

"Please," chuckled Mr. Takeshita, "you are going to become a photographer. You won't go to college!"

Momo let her eyes roll around in her head. She crossed her arms in front of her chest and gave her father a grim glance.

"I don't know if I'm going to do that yet," sighed Momo, "maybe I'll just study marketing or something."

"But that's so boring," laughed her father.

The bell suddenly rang, and they glanced at each other before racing to the door. Mr. Takeshita pushed his daughter from the door and tore it open. Suna jumped back when Mr. Takeshita glared into his forest green eyes.

"And how might you be?"

"Dad, let go, for fucks sake!"

Momo pushed her father out of the doorway and flashed an apologetic smile at her friend, who still looked like a startled deer.

"Dad, this is Suna Rintaro, a friend of mine. Suna, this is my dad. Are the others coming as well?

"Others?" asked Mr. Takeshita.

"No, the twins have to clean their bedrooms before they are allowed to leave the house," said Suna.

"Well, I guess it's just us then. Let me get my shoes, and we can go."