O N E

Edited on 21 December 2020

❤️

It was an autumn day that whispered of fresh breezes, rich with the aroma of the earth. Leaves danced from branch to ground, each a colorful flag without strings or pole, free to roam the earth. It was still in the halls of Inarizaki High, a school in the Hyogo prefecture. Miya Atsumu, a tall, burly young man, sat in classroom 2-2. His head laid on his large hand as his golden brown stared through the window. Something caught his eye; it was a young girl, around the same age as him, in everyday clothes. Her ginger curls were being whipped around her head by a hefty windstorm. An idle smile curled his lips while he continued to watch the young woman trying to comb her now very messy and disorganized hair. For a second, he tore his eyes away from her hen; the door to his classroom opened, and his English stepped inside. He glanced back to the spot where ginger stood before only to find out she vanished.

"Good morning, class," greeted Mrs. Warren.

"Good morning."

Miya let his eyes lingered another second on the spot before he redirected his focus on his teacher. Mrs. Warren was unpacking her bag when she remembered something.

"Has your home teacher mentioned the new student?"

The class erupted into chatter, and Mrs. Warren shock her heard with a gentle smile on her thin lips. She sat down at her desk, her brown hair falling behind her shoulders, and pushed her large, red glasses further up her straight nose.

"Today, we will welcome a new student. She should be here any minute. To my knowledge, she used to live in Tokyo. While we wait for her, we are going to go over this week's homework."

Miya flipped through his notebook and only listened with one ear to the class. He felt tired and didn't try to keep himself awake. His body was exhausted, and his muscle sore.

"Miya. Miya! Atsumu!" called Mrs. Warren.

Miya snapped out of trance to the sound of chuckles and soft laughter. His golden eyes fell to Mrs. Warren, who stood in front of her desk with her arms crossed in front of her chest.

"Sorry, Mrs. Warren," said Miya.

"How long did you guys play last night?"

"Until 11 pm," Miya proudly smiled at his shocked teacher.

"11 pm! I seriously need to talk to Norimune! He needs to know that volleyball isn't everything!"

Miya disagreed with his teacher. For him, volleyball was like oxygen. He couldn't live a single minute without it. A knock drew his teacher's attention to the door, and the class's home teacher stepped inside after knocking. Behind him was the ginger Miya saw before class. Instead of jeans and a jumper, she wore the school's uniform, and her hair was neatly combed.

"Ah, Sato-sensei!" called Mrs. Warren.

"Good morning, Mrs. Warren. I hope I'm not interrupting something important."

"Oh, no, no," she waved her hand at him, "please come in. You must be a student."

The ginger followed Sato into the call. Her icy, grey eyes quickly scanned the room before she nodded at Mrs. Warren. After a short conversation, Sato left the class, and Mrs. Warren grinned at the course.

"Everyone, this is the new student! Please introduce yourself," said Mrs. Warren.

"Hello, I'm Takeshita Momo. Nice to meet you."