Karma has many faces

Twenty Five

"THESE are the files that you're looking for."

Noah handed two folders. They were in the home office her father used when they lived here.

She opened the first folder.

A picture of a Caucasian man was in the first page. He has growing beard and his eyes were bloodshot.

"That was Oliver Griffin. He has been apprehended seven years ago with a bag of illegal drugs. Three months in trial, he was found dead in the prison with a cracked skull. There were no investigation after that. His family never bother." Noah announced as he sat in front of her.

He motioned for the other folder. She nodded at him to continue. She did not open the folder.

"Benjamin Lopez is still in prison. He's serving a two-life sentence. He murdered two people in different places. One is thru road rage and the other was when he shot a bartender during a drunken stupor. His family tried to pay the family of both victims but they refused to accept the money. A humanitarian organization took the victim's family during the trials." He looked at her. "After he was sentenced, you sent the immediate families of the victims to another State."

Silence enclosed them both.

"Do you want me to dig about the remaining guy? Just say the word, Era. I will know anything and everything about him up to the last food he ate this morning." Noah said with an edge in his voice.

He knew about what happened to her. He knew that these guys were the reason why she left town.

"These are all for now. Thank you, Noah."

Noah nodded even if he did not agree with her decision. He left her with her thoughts.

Era turned her chair and face the glass window. It overlooked the well tended garden where her mother loved to be during her free time.

The three people who harassed her years back made a huge impact in her life. Because of them, she became well guarded. She learned to defend herself physically. Not only for her mental health but also for her parents who never rest until she was enrolled in self-defense classes.

The self-defense classes helped her conquer her self-doubt. Gradually, her confidence build up. Her self-esteem grow until she became the woman she is now.

It also helped that she is a straight A student that she was able to become an accomplished person. It helps that she learned her craft at an early age that his parents supported.

Last night after her encounter with Kevin Miller, she messaged Samantha that she has to leave.

She knew that Samantha will wonder of her sudden disappearance. However, Era can no longer stay with the turn of events.