Nightmare come to life

Twenty Four

SAMANTHA plastered a big smile on her face when she saw Era. The tall woman wore a female version of tux that suits her impeccably. Though they did not talked about the color, Era's inner matched her girlfriend's champagne colored cocktail dress.

A peck on the lips later, Era was pulled towards the function hall. Several people, who were obviously has position in the society, loitered the place.

Two days ago, Era received a call from Samantha. Her girlfriend was in her home State for a week vacation while she also visited hers. Eventually, she was invited for Sam's oldest brother's birthday.

Samantha's hometown state is a two and a half hours drive from Era's.

The function hall where the party held is a five star hotel. Era also booked an overnight stay to avoid driving back after the party. Dan stayed next to hers since the two of them is a package. However, she asked him not to accompany her in the party.

Samantha put her hands in her arm as she they walk. Needless to say, with this event she would meet her girlfriend's family.

The visit to the family yields great effect to Samantha. The glow radiates at her girlfriends demeanor.

"May I have your attention please."

Both of them stopped walking as they looked at the man in the makeshift stage. The small talk discontinue as they all focus their attention to the party host.

"Firstly, I would like to thank the presence of each and everyone tonight as we celebrate the birthday of one of our own." He started.

Everyone flash a smile at each other.

"Secondly, may this be a start of our unity as we support the future endeavor of our birthday boy."

A chorus of agreement surround the hall.

Era look at her girlfriend whose attention was with the man on the stage.

"Your brother is entering politics?" She whispered.

Samantha nodded. "He's running for mayoralty position. He will announce tonight together with his birthday celebration."

She nodded and turn her attention back to the stage. There were two men standing there. Excitement filled the guests.

She frown when she look at the other guy on the stage. She knew him.

He might be older but she knew him. She look at him intently. She no longer comprehend the sound around her. Her sole focus was on the figure of the smiling man on the stage.

"Era!"

She looked down at Samantha. The petite woman stared at her with worry. The hand in her arm squeezed her harder.

"Baby, are you okay? You spaced out for a while."

She sighed before nodding.

"Come on. They were serving dinner. I'll have you meet my mom."

The sparkle of happiness radiates at Samantha's face. She forced herself to smile back and focus on her girlfriend.

They approached a table for ten people. Sitting there were three women, two men and a little boy.

Samantha kissed the cheek of a middle aged woman beside the man of the same age. It is quite obvious that the woman is her mother. They almost look the same except for the eyes.

The older woman has chocolate brown eyes while Samantha's were lighter.

"Everyone, this is Era James." The bubbly woman announced. She nodded at them. "My girlfriend."

Samantha beamed at her not bothered of the different reactions of her family.

"Samantha, do you really have to announced this now?" Her mother whispered.

"Mom, please be happy for me." Her girlfriend said, still smiling before turning to her.

"Baby, this is my older brother, Liam Miller and his wife, Lianne. This is also Barbara and her little boy, Martin. They were my oldest brother and birthday boy's family. Lastly, this is Gregory, my brothers' old man." Samantha introduce one by one.

Samantha informed her already that her mother has two children from her first marriage. And her girlfriend was the only offspring in the second one. However, the former Mrs. Miller did not re-marry after the death of her second husband, Mr. Potts.

She shake each other's hand even the little boy whose grinning at her.

They took the available chairs with the family. They made simple conversations. Every one is civil towards her even Mrs. Potts whose name is Suzanne.

Era excused herself after the main course was served. She mentioned that she have an important phone call to make.

After the quick call with Noah, she proceed to the bar set-up at the far side of the function hall.

She leaned at the counter after emptying a glass of champagne. She asked for another. She took a sip and tried to compose herself.

"We haven't been introduced."

Era stilled when she heard that. She knew that voice. She remembered.

"I'm Kevin Miller. I'm Samantha's oldest brother."

She take another sip before turning around. The wide smile in Kevin's face slowly disappeared.

They remained looking at each other. She strived to remain calm as she stand in front of her childhood nightmare.

Clearly, he, too remember.

"Hello, Mister Mayor."