"Dream a little dream of me."

Requested by dancer_0908

Hope you like it! Sorry it took so long (:

(The song mentioned is in the video above if you want to listen to it.)

The cool fall night air surrounded you from your spot on the balcony

The cool fall night air surrounded you from your spot on the balcony. Your Brooklyn apartment overlooked the city, giving you the perfect view of the city lights glowing like stars. The actual stars above you, hardly visible due the bright nightlife of New York, twinkled and winked from lightyears away. 

Through the slightly ajar glass door leading into your living room, the sound of the record player you'd gifted Steve for his birthday could be heard. It was an old song Steve had introduced you to after explaining it was first released when he was young, though this was a slightly newer version. He often listened to music from his era over the rap and hiphop popular in today's culture, and you had to admit his preference had charm. 

Stars shining bright above you

Night breezes seem to whisper, 'I love you'

Birds singin' in the sycamore trees

Dream a little dream of me

You didn't hear your boyfriend approach you. Must have been the years of training that taught him to have footfalls soft as a pin dropping. Or maybe it was just that you were so distracted you didn't notice he was there until a pair strong arms wrapped around your waist. You jumped ever so slightly, but stilled upon hearing his voice, soft in your ear.

"Just me, Doll." He rested his head in the crook of your neck, pressing a gentle kiss against the skin there. "What are you doing up?"

His breath and the scruff of his beard tickled your neck and you shivered. Steve felt the movement and tightened his arms around you. 

"I couldn't sleep," you mumbled with a small shrug.

"Why not?" He waited a moment before he realized the reason without you having to speak a word. His hands gripped your hips and spun you around to face him. "You shouldn't worry about me. I promised that I'll always come back to you."

You reached up to wrap your arms around his neck. "I can't help it. I always worry about you when you're gone."

"I'm okay," he reassured.

You spotted a cut at the corner of his lip that had scabbed over. You frowned and gently ran a finger over it. Down a little farther, there was a large bruise along his jaw, already beginning to turn a dark shade of purple. He flinched when your lightly brushed it. He took ahold of your hand, pressed a kiss to your knuckles, and pulled it away from his face.

You couldn't help but smile when Steve started humming along to the song still playing inside. As if looking perfect, acting like a true gentleman, and being a literal superhero wasn't enough, Steve could sing. He'd proven that to you on multiple occasions.

"Stars fading but I linger on dear," he sang as he started swaying to the rhythm. "Still craving your kiss." He leaned down to peck your lips and you laughed. He flashed you a big smile as he twirled you under his arm. 

"I'm longin' to linger till dawn dear," he continued softly. "Just saying this."

His fancy footwork leads you to holding just one of his hands. You both pull away from each other only for him to spin you back into his chest, leaving not an inch of space between you. Your eyes find his again. He guided your hand, the one that wasn't still gripped in his, up to rest on his shoulder. His landed on your waist. 

"Sweet dreams till sunbeams find you." The moonlight shone down on the balcony that you were dancing on. Steve's eyes and teeth were bright as it reflected off them. "Leave your worries behind you."

His cheeky smile softened, turning into something more gentle and fond. He dropped his forehead until it made contact with yours. His eyes searched your own. He dropped your hand to wrap both his arms around you, pulling you closer still. Your fingers tangled in his hair. 

"But in your dreams, whatever may be," His minty breath hit your face and you closed your eyes. "You've gotta make me a promise, promise to me, you'll dream, dream a little dream of me."

His voice faded at the end into little more than a whisper. You're both slowly swaying side to side in each others arms. He pressed a kiss to the tip of your nose and you opened your eyes to see his flickering down to your lips.

Steve swooped in then, catching your lips with his, holding you a little tighter. Every kiss with Steve felt like the first. His lips molded with yours, yours glided gently over his. One of your hands continued playing with his hair, while the other dropped down to the collar of his shirt.

The kiss was short and sweet, and afterwards the two of you went back to swaying even though the music had stopped playing. Instead, the melody of city sounds provided the rhythm to which you moved.

You hadn't realized you were falling asleep on your feet until Steve hooked an arm under your legs. He carried you back inside to your bedroom, where he climbed under the covers beside you. 

Finally, knowing that Steve was home safe and sound with his arms wrapped tightly around you, you were able to sleep.