"She's just a friend." (Part 2)

Requested by a lot of you.

You'd only been walking for five minutes when a car slowed down beside you

You'd only been walking for five minutes when a car slowed down beside you. The low hum of the engine and the sound of the window rolling down made you look over for a second, but you already knew who it was.

Steve's eyes glanced you up and down, you refused to meet his gaze. Your attention remained ahead of you, arms crossed to protect against the chilly night air.

"I'm sorry," Steve said. 

You pretended not to hear him. You jumped when a car honked loudly as it passed Steve, who was driving less than five miles per hour.

"(Y/N)," Steve tried again to get your attention. "I made a mistake. Can you get in the car so we can talk? Please?"

"I have nothing to say to you," you said quietly. You weren't entirely sure he'd heard you.

He stopped the car beside the curb and got out. You increased your pace hoping he wouldn't be able to catch up, but he did so with ease. His hand gripped the crease of your elbow and spun you around to face him.

"Let go of me, Steve." You tugged against his grip on your arm. "Let me go!" You shouted, gaining the attention of car occupants stopped at a nearby red light.

Steve shushed you. "Stop." You ignored his demand and kept struggling against his grip. "Stop, (Y/N)," he said again.

"I said let me go." But you stopped pulling against his grip when you realized he wasn't going to ease up. Your breath faltered as your eyes met his and you felt the familiar prick of tears. You blinked hard to suppress them.

"Can you just listen to me for a minute?" Steve asked. You began shaking your head rapidly as a few tears dripped down your face. "Please."

"Why should I?" You used the hand that wasn't restrained by Steve to swipe under your eyes. "So you can tell me again that she means nothing to you, but that you'd choose her anyway?"

Steve flinched at the way your voice cracked. "I'm an idiot."

"Yes," you agreed, nodding your head. "You are."

"But I'm your idiot." You rolled your eyes at the statement. "Look, I didn't mean what I said."

Your eyes narrowed at him. "Then why did you say it?"

"I wasn't thinking clearly." He used his free hand to wipe the streams of tears on your cheeks.

You shoved his hand away from your face. "Really? You seemed pretty sure of yourself to me." 

He sighed loudly. "I'm sorry. I was just mad," he said. Noticing the way your eyebrow twitched, he continued quickly. "And I know that I didn't have any right to be mad because I hurt you. It wasn't the other way around."

You rolled your eyes a second time. "You're just repeating things that I already know."

"I love you, (Y/N). Not her." He tried to reassure you. "I promise that she doesn't, and will never, mean anything to me."