"You need to stop doing that."

"(Y/N), is Steve Rogers single?"  

Startled slightly by the unexpected question, you jumped and dragged your gaze away from the computer screen in front of you. Your eyes fell on a new, and very young, SHIELD hire. She leaned a hip against your desk with her eyes on you, chewing her gum loudly. You'd never had a conversation with this girl and to be honest you didn't even know her name, but somehow she knew who you were, though apparently not very well considering the question she'd just asked you.

You contemplated your response for a few seconds.

"Why do you want to know?" You couldn't hide the small smirk that crossed your lips. 

"Why do you think?" She let out a laugh and rolled her eyes slightly. "Do I have to spell it out for you?"

You resisted the urge to glare daggers at her and kept your expression neutral. "You like him."

"Duh." She rolled her eyes a second time. "He's hot. A lot of girls like him."

"Exactly-- a lot of girls. What makes you think you have a chance?" You turned away from her, back to the screen in front of you, and your smirk grew at the shocked look she gave you.

"Not all girls are like me," she stated and flipped her hair over her shoulder.

You glanced up at her for a brief moment before chuckling and looking away. "Right. Of course."

"So, do you think he's busy tomorrow night?" she asked and crossed her arms.

You knew he already had plans, but decided to lie. "I'm not sure. You could ask him, though."

Just then you noticed Steve walking into the room. His face was slightly sweaty, which made sense considering he was training that morning, but he looked as handsome as ever. His blue eyes scanned the room until they landed on you, making him smile. 

You smirked to yourself when the girl immediately straightened her posture as soon as she spotted him. She started fiddling with her hair, pulling it over one shoulder and fluffing it.

"Oh, here he comes." She grabbed a sticky note from the pad on your desk, without your permission, and spit her gum onto it before dropping it into your trashcan. "How do I look?"

You gave her an overly cheery smile, but kept your eyes on the screen. "Great."

She shrugged in a way that said I know. "I'm gonna ask him out."

"Really?" You raised your eyebrows and tried to hide your laughter. "You're gonna ask him out right now?"

She nodded before turning away to approach Steve. He just so happened to be walking in your direction at the same time, so the two of them stopped only a few feet from your desk, allowing you to hear their entire conversation. You kept your eyes trained on the computer in front of you, trying not to make it obvious that you were listening in.

"Hey, Steve," she greeted. You looked up briefly when you noticed her putting a hand on his bicep. "How are you?"

He gently removed her hand, dropping it back to her side. You smiled to yourself. "Pardon me for asking, but have we met before?"

She laughed as if it was the funniest thing she'd ever heard, making Steve raise an eyebrow thinking he'd missed the joke hidden in his question. You chuckled quietly, covering your mouth with your hand to muffle the sound. 

"I'm sorry," Steve said, gaining the attention of the girl once more. She paused her laughter to listen to him. "What did I say that was so funny?"

She laughed again, though this time not as intensely. "We met a week ago. Don't you remember?"

Steve looked away and furrowed his brow, trying to remember what she was talking about, but coming up blank. "I don't, actually."

Her smile fell momentarily before being replaced with another one, this time much more tense. "Well, that's alright. I'm new, so most people don't know me yet." 

Steve nodded and attempted to walk around her, but she stopped him with both hands on his chest. Her fingers flexed over the muscles beneath his shirt and you rolled your eyes.

"I was just wondering if you wanted to go out tomorrow night." She batted her eyelashes at him.

Steve, looking very uncomfortable with a flushed face, removed her hands from where they still rested on him and shook his head quickly. "I actually already have plans."

She giggled. "What about this weekend?"

"I'm usually busy every night." Steve moved to walk around her again, but for the second time she blocked his escape.

She was still clueless. "What do you mean?"

He shrugged. "Well, my girlfriend and I--."

"I thought you were single," she interrupted.

Steve raised an eyebrow and put his hands on his hips. "Who told you that?" he asked, but his tone hinted that he already knew the answer. He glanced at you over the girl's head and you turned back to the screen in front of you to hide your grin from him.

"(Y/N) did," she explained, a finger pointed back in your direction.

"Yeah, that would be my girlfriend," Steve said with a small smile and slight blush.

The girl nodded for a moment before she processed his answer. Her jaw dropped as she looked back at you. "Wait, she's your girlfriend?"

You gave her a smile and a small wave. She huffed angrily, face and neck turning crimson with embarrassment, before stomping away.

Steve sighed loudly enough for you to hear before he approached you, hands still on his hips. "You need to stop doing that." He perched on the side of your desk. You pulled your gaze up to meet his.

You giggled. "What am I doing?"

"Telling girls I'm single so they'll ask me out only for me to reject them and hurt their feelings." He crossed his arms, trying to look angry, but his smile gave away that he was actually amused by the situation.

You pushed your chair away from the desk slightly and held your hands up. "Hey, I never tell anyone that you're single. They come to that conclusion themselves."

He frowned at you. "(Y/N)--."

"Fine, fine. I'll stop." You smirked. "But if they listened to any of the gossip around here they would already know that you're taken."

Steve chuckled quietly and nodded in agreement before leaning over to give you a quick kiss. "You wanna go get lunch?"

Only then did you realize how hungry you were as your stomach began to growl. You nodded. "Can we get Chinese?"

Steve held a hand out for you and you took it with a smile. "Whatever you want, Sweetheart."