"Can I kiss you?"

"You're staring

"You're staring." You jumped and almost dropped the glass of water in your hand. You turned quickly to see Tony standing beside you.

"What?" You asked without realizing your gaze was slowly drifting back to Steve who was sat at the kitchen table with the rest of the team, laughing at something Clint had said to Nat.  "I'm not staring."

"You know, a little birdie told me he might have a thing for you too." Your head swiveled toward him so fast you thought you might have whiplash.

"No," you said quickly. "I don't... I wasn't... I'm not." You paused and took a deep breath before trying again. "We're just friends, nothing more." You were unsure if you were trying to reassure yourself or Tony. You avoided his gaze and took a small sip of water.

"You never were a very good liar," Tony said, making you finally look at his face. He wore a smirk and watched you bite your lip.

"I don't know what you're talking about," you mumbled and turned away from him to take another sip of water.

Tony placed a hand on your arm. "In about ten seconds, Steve's gonna notice us over here talking and that we're touching. He'll assume the worst, that you and I are 'fondueing' as he calls it, and he'll storm out the door with some lame excuse about needing to train for a mission." As if on cue, Steve left the room to go to the gym. "Friends don't get jealous like that." 

You watched Tony walk away and noticed the other four Avengers staring at you. You cleared your throat before downing the rest of your water and leaving the room. 

~

A couple hours later, you were in the lab trying to work out a problem Tony had deemed unsolvable, mostly because you wanted to prove him wrong as a way to get back at him for what happened earlier. You were so focused on the papers in front of you that you didn't realize you had company until he sat down across from you. You looked up quickly and smiled.

"Hey."

"Hey," Steve said. "What are you doing?"

"Trying to figure this stupid thing out, but none of it makes sense." You ran a hand through your hair and used the other the hold your pencil between your teeth. 

"Why don't you take a break?" Steve asked. "We can watch a movie and order some pizza."

"I can't take a break. I have to do this." You sat up a little straighter and looked at the papers again. Steve smiled at your determination.

Steve sat there watching you for the next several minutes. He watched you bite your lip or the pencil. He noticed every time you scrunched your nose in frustration or confusion. He wanted to reach out and touch your hair when you ran your hands through it. Without thinking, he blurted out a question.

"Can I kiss you?"

Your eyes flew up to his face, he was staring at you intently. You dropped the pencil you held in your hand in shock. You felt your heart rate pick up and your palms began to sweat.

"What?" You asked after taking a deep breath.

"I'm sorry," Steve mumbled and he started to stand up from his seat across from you. 

"Yes," you said quickly and reached a hand out to grab his before he could walk away. "I'd like that." 

Steve froze, looked at your hand gripping his tightly, before his eyes met yours. He walked painfully slowly around the table, still keeping his hand in yours. Once he'd made it in front of you, you were overwhelmed by the smell of his cologne and it made your breath hitch in your throat. His lips were so close to yours that you feel his breath hit your face through his slightly open mouth. You closed the small gap between you and your lips met in a soft, yet passionate, kiss. His arms wrapped around your waist and you found your own working their way up around his neck and into his hair.

Just before things went any further, you heard a loud cheer from the doorway. You and Steve jumped apart, blushes spreading across both of your cheeks. Tony stood there with the rest of the team behind him, equally wide grins across all of their faces.

"This is... awkward," you mumbled while looking at the ground to hide your blush from everyone.

"Is there a reason you're watching us?" Steve raised an eyebrow.

"We were bored and wanted to see a show." Tony smirked. Steve walked over to them and began closing the door.

"Show's over. You can all go now." He closed the door, earning groans and some whistles from the others.

Your covered your face with your hands and rested your elbows on the table. Steve made his way back over to you and brushed your hair behind your ear. You peeked at him through your fingers. He chuckled.

"You're so cute," he said with a wide grin, making your blush grow. He pulled your hands away from your face and kissed you again.