"As long as we're together."

requested by kinky_castle it's not great, but i hope you like it anyway!

"Do you have to go?" You pouted. 

Steve hands gripped yours tightly and he frowned. "I'll only be gone for two days."

"Two days is a long time, Steve." You ignored the pang in your chest at the thought of him being gone. "Why can't you just stay here with me?" You removed your hands from Steve's and wrapped your arms around his neck. You stood on your tiptoes and pressed your forehead against his. Steve's hands moved to grip your waist.

"Don't tempt me," he mumbled. He pressed a kiss to each corner of your lips, hoping that doing so would turn your pout into a smile. It didn't. "I'd much rather stay here with you. I don't like being apart either, (Y/N)."

"Then stay," you pleaded. You trailed a line of kisses along his jaw.

He sighed. "You know I can't." 

You pulled him closer and hid your face against his chest. "I know," you agreed even though you didn't want to.

Steve held you for several minutes. You relished in the feeling of having each other near, knowing you wouldn't be able to hold each other for two days after you parted. You breathed deeply, taking in his scent.

"I have to go." Steve pulled away to look at you. Slowly, you lifted your head and stared into his eyes. He pressed a kiss to the tip of your nose. "I love you."

"I love you, too." 

He brought his lips down to yours in a soft, yet passionate, kiss.

He pulled away slowly, his fingers lingering against yours for a few extra moments before losing all contact with you and taking a couple steps in the direction of the door. "Stay out of trouble. I'll be home soon."

You ignored the familiar prick of tears. "If I don't, will you come back?"

He gave you a small smile before picking up his shield which rested against the wall beside the door. "I'll see you soon."

~

"(Y/N), you have to eat." Sam shoved the plate of food back in front of you after you had pushed it away for the third time.

"I'm not hungry," you mumbled monotonously. You hadn't eaten all day. 

Since Steve left ten hours ago, you spent most of the time in your room all alone with your thoughts. Sam, who hadn't gone with the others on the mission due to an injury he received on the last one, expected this to happen as it did every other time Steve left. 

He also knew Steve wasn't any better when he was away from you. He was constantly worrying about what was going on and if you were safe. Sometimes he even lost focus in fights while thinking about you, leading to more cuts and bruises than necessary.