"I'm so sorry, Steve." (Part 2)

*****SPOILER WARNING: This contains spoilers from Avengers: Endgame.*****

Requested by @Sush_khurana_14

It was strange feeling. One second, you couldn't feel anything. The next your fingers and toes started tingling. It was a pins-and-needles type sensation that soon spread across your whole body. You could feel your limbs, you could move your eyes under your eyelids, and you could feel your chest rising and falling with each slow breath, but you couldn't wake up.

At least not until you heard someone calling your name.

"(Y/N)!" His tone was loud and urgent. You felt your body shake violently.

With a loud intake of air your eyes opened. You looked up at the face Bucky. His hands were on your shoulders and you realized that was the reason you were shaking. You looked around you, everywhere you turned people seemed to be waking up just like you had.

"What happened?" Your voice was hoarse.

"They did it," Bucky said quietly. A small smile broke out on his face.

You were about to ask what he was talking about, but then it hit you. You were overwhelmed with memories of fighting Thanos in this very spot. You remembered the snap, watching your friends fade away, Bucky turned to literal dust in front of you, the feeling of your heart breaking when you realized you'd lost, seeing your own hands, arms, feet, and legs turn to ash as you whispered goodbye to Steve--

Steve.

His name repeated over and over in your mind. He consumed all your thoughts, but it wasn't until you were on the battlefield once more that you actually saw him. He looked different. His face was clean-shaven, though it was also covered in dirt and dried blood. There were deep creases in his forehead, between his eyebrows, and at the corners of his lips. It was as if he'd spent the last five years that you were gone with a permanent frown on his face.

He didn't look at you for more than ten seconds that day. You blamed it on the fact that you were about to fight the fight of your lives.

He still pretended you didn't exist when you had won. This time you assumed it was because he just watched Tony die.

He ignored you at the funeral. He paid no attention to the stares you were sending his way or your cries as you mourned the loss of your friend. 

He acted like he didn't hear your sobbing when you learned about Natasha from Clint.

That was when you realized something changed while you were gone, but you couldn't figure out what it was.

You decided to confront him after the funeral. He went inside the house to use the restroom and you were waiting outside the door for when he came out. He jumped when he saw you standing there with your arms crossed waiting for him. He couldn't even look you in the eyes.