"I don't know what you're talking about."

When he walked in the kitchen, you felt your whole body tense up

When he walked in the kitchen, you felt your whole body tense up. You ignored him and continued stirring the sugar in your coffee. Natasha and Tony acknowledged his presence, but continued their pointless argument. You weren't paying any attention to them. Steve walked behind you to get himself something to eat and your eyes briefly met his, causing the events of last night to come flooding back to you.

~

You sat alone on the floor in your room. Your phone lay several feet away from you where you'd tossed it carelessly a few minutes ago. Tears were flowing freely down your face. Your boyfriend of over three years had just broken up with you. It'd been clear for a long time now that he was hooking up with other girls. He never seemed to have time for you anymore, he was distant, and he flirted with every girl he crossed paths with. You'd thought about ending it for a while, but then you'd think of all the good times and you could never bring yourself yourself do it.

Now, he broke up with you, and it made you wonder why. Weren't you good enough for him?

You jumped when your bedroom door opened. You frantically wiped your tears and  sat up a little straighter.

"Hey, (Y/N). We ordered pizza if you want some," Steve said. When his eyes fell on your tear-stained face, he closed the door quietly behind him and made his way over to you. "What's wrong? What happened?"

You couldn't stop yourself from bursting into tears once again. You hid your face in your hands and Steve took a seat on the floor next to you. He wrapped his strong arms around you and pulled you into him. He rubbed small circles on your back while you cried.

"Shh, it's alright." He whispered soothing words into your ear for a few minutes while you let all the pent up sadness out. Neither of you spoke. Steve just held you while you cried. It was nice to have a comforting presence with you.

When you eventually calmed down and could speak without wanting to cry again, Steve spoke up. "So, what happened?" 

"My boyfriend broke up with me." Your voice cracked slightly. You fiddled your thumbs and avoided looking in Steve's direction.

"I'm so sorry."

"It's not your fault."

"I know, but can I tell you something?" Your eyes met his and you nodded. "I never liked that guy. He wasn't good enough for you and you deserve so much better."

"What I deserve is trash because that's what I am. I'm not good enough for him. Or anyone really."

"Hey, stop that." Steve grabbed one of your hands in his.

"It's true. I couldn't make it work. He was sleeping with other women and practically avoiding me. I wasn't good enough for him."

"If that's what he was doing, then he's the trash. Not you." You opened your mouth to protest. "No, (Y/N). You're strong and talented, not to mention absolutely beautiful, and anyone would be lucky to have you."

"Steve." You shook your head slightly.

"He didn't appreciate what he had and for that he didn't deserve you. He never did," he said. You watched him for a minute and he stared at you. "It's true."

You weren't sure if it was because you were upset and looking for a way to displace your feelings, or if you were genuinely attracted to Steve, but you found yourself staring at his lips. You'd never noticed before, but from this close you could see that his bottom lip was slightly fuller than the top one. You found yourself leaning in and Steve did the same. Pretty soon, your lips met his. One of his hands traveled down to your waist and the other tangled in your hair, pulling you closer together. Your hands laid flat against his chest, but after a few seconds made their way up to the back of his neck.

Before things got too heated, Steve pulled away. "(Y/N), we can't do this."

"Why?" He removed your hands from around his neck.

"You just got out of a relationship." Steve scooted away from you slightly before standing up.

"So what?" You stood up as well. He took three steps away from you and toward the door.

"You're only doing this because you're hurt. You don't actually have feelings for me." He sounded slightly hurt. "I'm not going to let myself get hurt by falling more for the girl who will never want me."

"Falling more?" You questioned. You could see him blush. He'd said more than he wanted.

"I, well, yeah." You'd never admitted it to anyone, but you'd always had slight feelings for Steve. The only reason you never acted on them was because of your boyfriend, well ex-boyfriend. 

"I do want you, Steve." 

"You're just saying that."

"No, I'm not." You closed the gap between the two of you and kissed him again. Despite his earlier statements, he kissed back and wrapped his arms tightly around you with no hesitation. 

You spent the next hour together and you saw parts of Steve you never thought you would, but when all was said and done, it could never happen again.

"This never happened, okay?" You watched him put his t-shirt back on.

"What?" He asked.

"We have to pretend this," you gestured between the two of you. "didn't happen. We don't need all the questions."

"Are you serious?" His blue eyes narrowed.

"Yes, I'm serious." You sat up on your bed. He watched you while he picked up his shoes.

"Fine." He left the room without another glance.

~

You snapped your eyes away from the supersoldier and continued stirring your coffee.

"You could literally cut the sexual tension in here with a knife," Tony spoke up from his spot leaning against the counter, pulling you out of your thoughts. You looked at Steve, he avoided your gaze and kept his eyes trained on the floor.

"I don't know what you're talking about," you mumbled, picked up your mug of coffee, and left without another glance in Steve's direction.