"She's just a friend." (Part 3)

You guys asked for it, so I wrote it. Hope you enjoy. 

Things had been different since your last fight with Steve

Things had been different since your last fight with Steve. Sure, from the outside, everything looked perfect. You were still around each other constantly, you laughed at things he said, and he was sweet as can be, but something felt off to you.

And you had a feeling that was because you couldn't stop thinking about the possibilities of what happened between him and Sharon. Was it really just talking like he said it was? Or did it go farther than that? Was there kissing? Maybe something more?

These were questions you had yet to get answers to and it had almost been two weeks since you'd confronted Steve about it. They plagued your thoughts every night before you fell asleep and you found yourself dreaming up ideas of what could have gone down. 

You had thought about bringing it up to him, but whenever you tried, you ended up asking something completely different. You couldn't work up the courage to get the question out.

But late one night when you were both in bed, you decided that you were just gonna do it. You were gonna ask him what exactly happened and this time, you wouldn't chicken out.

"Steve," you mumbled. You pulled away slightly from him and his arms loosened from around you. 

"Yeah?" He pushed a few stray hairs out of your face. His hand remained on the side of your face.

You bit your lip and took a deep breath. "I was just, um." You pulled farther away from him so you could see his face. He peered down at you with raised eyebrows. "What exactly happened with you and Sharon?" You asked quietly.

At first, you weren't sure if he'd heard you. His expression remained the same for several moments before he sighed loudly, dropped his hand, and created a small gap between you.

"I thought you were over it." His voice held a hint of anger and that, in turn, made you upset too.

"'Over it'?" you repeated, phrasing it like a question. 

Steve looked at you again. "Yeah, I thought we moved past it."

You propped yourself up onto your elbows and flicked on the lamp beside the bed. "That's not just something I can move past if I don't know what actually happened."

"Nothing happened." He sat up and leaned his back against the headboard.

You rolled your eyes. "Lying about it just makes it worse, Steve."

Steve rubbed his face with his hands. "I can't believe you're doing this again."

"You can't actually be mad at me for asking about it, can you?" You flipped over and fully sat up.

"Yes!" He exclaimed. 

Up until this point, you'd both kept your voices relatively quiet, so at Steve's sudden shout you jumped. You shook your head and stared at your hands in your lap.