Dragmire's War - Riboku's Generation

Start from the beginning

"Wha?" Link stuttered.

"Do you think he can ride himself?" The Englishman asked.

Link looked at Ouki as he was being put on the horse. Link saw how he wavered, how his arm dangled, and his head rolled around. Blood flowed down Ouki's chest and Link could clearly see through the holes. Tears welled up in the Englishman's eyes.

The Englishman continued, "He can't... he doesn't have the strength to talk, to walk, to ride, or to lead the horse. You're the only one light enough to be on the horse with him. We need you to hold the reigns and help make sure Ouki does not fall off."

Link gulped. He was needed. With a little aid, he was placed on the horse just in front of Ouki. Ouki immediately fell forward, and Link struggled to keep from being squashed under him.

The Englishman put a tender hand on Ouki's face, "Ouki, stay with us. We're going to get you out of here." Next, the Englishman helped move Ouki's horse the first few steps before getting on one himself. "Everyone! We're going to charge them directly and shift towards the left side! Line up! We still have some strength left in us!"

"Where?" Link wondered. "Look around: we're all walking dead."

"Not all of us," The Englishman pointed to the left and Link saw where. Moubu, enraged by the words he heard in the wind, had grabbed the last of his men and charged the Zhao head-on along the far left side. "Men! We are going to ride the wave of his energy!"

With the Zhao on the front lines distracted by Harken, the Qin rallied everyone and moved left. The infantry was gathered and rushed into line behind the cavalry as they moved towards the Zhao's thinner left flank. The Zhao saw and rushed away to pierce Ouki further. Were Link's hands not on the reigns, he might have been able to do something. However, someone else did for him. As a spear flew in, an officer rode into its path and knocked it aside. Another spear pierced his side, and the man was dragged off his horse, thrown into the Zhao ranks, and torn apart.

"G-go, boy!" The dying man yelled. "We must protect Ouki at all costs!"

The Englishman and other riders surrounded Link and Ouki to lead their way.

-Riboku-

Riboku saw the arrow strike and Harken dealing the finishing blow. Satisfied, he turned and rode back to the Zhao army.

"You did it?" Kaine asked.

"I did," Riboku confirmed. His expression was down, almost sad. "I pierced Ouki with an arrow and Harken stabbed him twice through. No one, not even he, could survive that."

"Are you sure?"

"Men greater than he have died from less."

"Sir!" Someone rode up from the front lines. "I bring a report! Harken Dragmire has broken ties with us and is coming straight for you! We are trying to slow him down, but... nothing short of Ouki seems capable of stopping him. Also, a small army under Moubu has appeared on the right side and is on its way to us!"

"I see," Riboku replied. He put up his glass and peered through it. As he watched, Harken Dragmire barreled through the Zhao lines and was nearly was out into open country. A few moments later, he did arrive and charged the Zhao army alone across open terrain. Riboku peered right and saw General Moubu on his way. Riboku then turned his glass to where Ouki was. The Englishman was rallying them to join up with Moubu.

"Even though Ouki is dead... they are doing all they can to allow him to escape," Kaine pondered.

"It is because they know that Ouki's body would be subject to defilement were it to fall into our hands."