Mochi and Dango

I was in amazement with how easy it was to slip into a serious relationship with Kagome. At times I look back to how we interacted, and realize that there was a reason everyone thought we were dating. A scene from about 10 months ago keeps playing in my head.

"Sh- Izuku, where's your shirt?" I look down and back at her red face. "You hypocrite."

"I've been lugging around fridges and stuff for four hours. I think I can do without one. Besides, I'm not the one who went for a dip." I flicked her hair into her face. "God, you're so distracting," I laughed, on the verge of a blush and pushed her in the direction of our neighborhood with a close-eyes grin. "Go home, Kagome!"
———

Oh, distracting is right, I decide. I look up at the board, and write down my notes. We've been spending so much time together, I didn't even realize I could spend time doing anything besides studying or daydreaming about being a hero. All the possibilities of everything I've wanted...

The doors of opportunity used to be locked shut for me. I couldn't get a friend let alone a girlfriend. I couldn't get a quirk let alone be a superhero. I couldn't get Kacchan to be kind let alone him admitting to being friends. It all somehow began or happened on the days Kagome was on the way back from her swimming competitions. Like somehow she was a key to every door that was closed to me.

When we were kids, I had a major crush on her, but then she left, and I figured my feelings for her would be completely gone by the time she came back. It seems like my feelings didn't go away at all, and hers came back at twice the force.

I've come to like the way she reddens when I accidentally flirt with her. I'm thinking it needs to happen more often, and less accidentally. My god, you're actually distracting, Kagome. I shake her from my head as I continue to write down my notes furiously. After class, I stay to ask Aizawa Sensei for help with a question I didn't quite understand, and then meet up with Kagome outside. I continue to work out the math problem distractedly as she greets me. "Hey, Izu!"

"Hey, sweetheart," I reply back. Now what's the answer if X was 7... I notice Kagome's steps pause so I turn to check her, and she's gripping at her ears in embarrassment. Was it something I—oh... Oh! "Something the matter," I say as I walk closer to her, "sweetheart?"

"N-no-Erm-nOpe! NOthIng at all!"

"Oh, god," I chuckle. "I'm sorry, you're too cute when you turn red like that."

"Zuku! That isn't nice..."

"Aww, come on," I say, nudging her shoulder with my own. I tuck my notebook away and pull it onto myself as I grin at her little embarrassed pout. "Both of us know you like that as much as I do." I glance at her, and she reddens even more.

"Yeah, so what?"

"So you know what else? I could call you sweetheart," I say, seeing her grip on her ears and aids grow tighter. "Sweetheart, and darling, baby," I don't quite know about baby... "and... oh, this is my favorite. Mochi."

"Mochi?! But that's just a—!"

"-Dessert that you would kill a man to get? Yeah, I'm well aware. I like Mochi."

"If you get to have a bunch of nicknames for me, then I can have them for you, too, right?" Kagome says brightly. At her smile, the heat rises to my face as well. It's the feeling you get when you've been in your house so long, and you've gotten pale, and then suddenly you're in the sun? You feel the color coming to your face, and you can't stop yourself. Why would you?