Discoveries.

"Yeah, you do." Katsuki says, pushing me higher onto his shoulder. "You just don't want Deku look at you like that. It's why you don't make friends. You're terrifying to them, you know."

"How-!"

"I know you don't want Deku looking at you like that because you like him." Katsuki's hand grips onto my leg a bit tighter. "And I know it's not as friends."

"It's not like that, Katsuki," I deny. "He's just like a sibli-!"

"If he were like a sibling you'd look at him like me. You're obvious... to me at least." Katsuki opens the door to outside and we leave the building and start our trek home. "It might be because as much as you deny it we are the same-!"

"I'm my own person, Katsuki. We are not the same."

"Is it really that bad to be like me?" Katsuki demands. "Am I that horrible of a person?"

I scoff. "You're not a horrible person except that you bully Izuku over something he can not control. And he has a qu-!"

"Go to sleep, Kagome. You must have a concussion of some sort if you say that that quirkless nerd could do anything besides muttering till your ears bleed."

I don't respond after that because I know it's useless to talk to him right now. My brain already hurts and I don't really want to talk to my brother long enough for that number to go down exponentially.

"At least... at least I can be sure Deku wouldn't hurt you." Katsuki mumbles a few minutes later.

"You're okay with me having a crush on the kid you bullied your entire life?" I ask incredulously.

"I'm not okay with it, but it's better than falling for a villain or someone that could hurt you." Katsuki shouts back at me. "Don't get me wrong, I hate that damn nerd."

"Uh huh." I look at him, dumbfounded. I suppose surprise is only more evident if you know someone. A judgement isn't enough to base facts off of, and even though I've been living with Katsuki for ten months, I continue to be surprised by him on occasion.

"Deku just isn't capable of hurting anyone. Including you." Katsuki shrugs me off his back as we approach our house. "Hey, Old Hag," he says, entering the house.

"How was the test, brats?" The Old Hag asks as we walk in. She turns around and her eyes grow at the sight of the bandages around my ears. "Kagome?"

"I did great, but this one got injured. That's why we were so late."

"Hey! I did well, too." I huff. "I got about 27 points before that giant zero-pointer came out."

"I was at 72. You're wrecked." Katsuki smirks at me.

Fuck. I'm totally failing the practical. Like, definitely, one hundred percent, no doubt, failing. Suddenly everything feels numb. Fail? That's the opposite of number one. I have to be number one, no matter what, I can't fail?! I failed at being number one student as a kid, number one swimmer growing up, and now I'm failing the chance to get into the hero course. I even failed at keeping a promise to never use my quirk. And I used it on the zero pointer.

That's not right.

I want to be number one. It's fun, and it's the top. Everyone wants to be there. I look down shakily, and there I am again, at the end of the 200 Medley, a mere half second after my biggest opponent in swimming. Nakajima Keiko (quirk: mermaid. Self explanatory, but she can turn into a mermaid in water.) beat me by .5 seconds. And I couldn't believe my eyes then or now. She jumped out of the water and she and her team cheered. They would go in to represent Japan in the nationals. I lost. I wanted to stay at the top and I failed. I didn't even cry about it until later that night after everyone was asleep. I went to the pool and I swam my portion over and over and over. I never made it past the time I got in the semi-finals. "I... I failed."