First Date

Izuku was in front of my house at 5:00 sharp. He was wearing a white tank top and black basketball shorts, and since Katsuki chose my outfit, I could tell he chose Izuku's. I was wearing the same (well, my tank top had a black track jacket over it, and the basketball shorts were actually guys' cuz those are comfy), so he must've coordinated this. "Let's go on a run!" Izu smiles.

"That's a new one," I shrug off the feeling that this is too casual for a date. "So what's the plan?"

Izuku sets a pace for a jog. "Well, we're gonna run to UA, then to the beach, have a battle, because I want to see if your quirk works any different than Kacchan's on a molecular level, and then we're gonna have some dinner."

My heart sinks. I didn't expect a fancy restaurant, but I really wasn't expecting this. It seems almost like a normal hangouts. I won't let Izuku know that, though, since he seems happy. I (fake) grin at him competitively. "Sounds good. Can you keep up?" I laugh, as I sprint in the direction of UA. It was a short run, and Izuku and I ran in silence.

In silence.

He didn't mutter, and I didn't talk. He refused to make eye contact with me, almost like he was ashamed. UA brought us to a jogging stop. "Why'd we stop?" I ask.

"I'm gonna grab something from a friend, so I'll be right back." Izuku cut a corner of a building, and was back in less than a few seconds with a small gym bag. "Alright. Now, uh," Izuku suddenly, very, very uncharacteristically, I may add, leaned in close to my face, almost bopping my nose with his (using his height as an advantage). He smiled a cute, close-eyed grin, and took off. "Catch me if you can!" Was that flirting?!

"Oh- IZUKU!" I laugh as soon as I collect my composure (it was in a puddle of "fuck the whatness just happened") and sprint after him. I was behind him by a few feet when we finished at the beach, and I was thoroughly frustrated at this point. "We gonna fight or what?!" I shout.

"Alright, rules, no... killing, obviously," he says. "And uh... you can't break my bones-!"

Are you sure I need to do that for you? I nod, anyway. "And you can't break my bones, but feel free to go all out otherwise."

"Okay. And I want... uh... best 3 out of five?"

"Two out of three."

"Sounds good."

Round One was making me even madder at my situation. Izuku and I were well balanced.,I had my hearing aids out, so I could fight without hurting myself more, but that did technically give Izuku the advantage of hearing everything. In fact, I can only hear a faint ringing in my ear. The first round, he beat me by restraining me from behind, holding my arms back so I couldn't injure him. I lost concentration long enough to be considered Izuku's win, because it felt like a back hug.

He hands me my hearing aids, and says, "let's do one with hearing aids. No quirks for either of us."

"Alright. Good one, by the way, Izu," really good for tugging at my heartstrings. "Okay, whenever you're ready."

He's stronger than I am, but I'm quicker than him and manage to tackle him down, but he gets up quickly. "You know, Kago-Chan, I was really surprised when I figured out you liked me."

I clench my teeth, as I aim a right hook at his face, and when I miss, I use the momentum to hit a kick at him. It hits his shoulder, making him stagger off balance. "Oh, yeah? I couldn't tell. You know what else I can't tell?"

"What?" Izuku dodges another kick just barely, but grabs my leg and tried to launch me somewhere with it. I do end up just kicking him in the back of the knees.

"Why you're playing me like a cheap kazoo!" I growl. "I mean," since I'm lost in the fight, I can't help but say what I think, especially since it's Izuku. "Who takes their date for a workout session unless you're that spiky red rock that Kacchan's friends with?!" I punch relentlessly at Izuku. "If you didn't like me like that, I would've gotten over it. I'm not weak, Izuku, so don't pity-date me." I don't give him a chance to breathe. "AND WHAT EVEN ARE THESE RULES?! I can't break you bones?! You do that often enough to yourself. Do you know how much that worries me? Do you know how hard it is to watch you hurt yourself in every quirk exercise we do?" Now, I've kicked him to the ground and am sitting on his stomach while pulling his collar up. I don't care that there are tears rolling out of my eyes; I've noted I'm more prone to that around Izuku and generally just crying more since the USJ incident. "STOP FUCKING HURTING YOURSELF!!" I almost release him before I remember what else I was going to say, "and yeah, if you don't like me just tell me, already!!!! I know you don't know how to react to your childhood best friend catching feelings, but you don't have to do this just to make me feel better. And... I-I win." I huff, getting off of Izuku.

"I didn't do this because I wanted to appease you, I just don't know how I feel either." Izuku says. "And I'm trying to contain my quirk, so I'm sorry, but you can't worry about me, Kagome. I'm becoming a hero, the number one, you know? And that means-!"

"You can't stop me from worrying." I whisper. "Don't you get it? I love you, even if it's not returned, and if it wasn't as a crush, I still would be worried for my best friend. I can't not be worried."

"I... can't stop you from thinking that, can I?" Izuku huffs and sits down. "And you were complaining about the date, Kagome, but it's just that," Izuku smiles at me from his place on the ground. "You and Kacchan, you're bad at expressing yourselves. You less than him, and I didn't want this to be awkward for us. You're better at talking when you're not thinking about it, so I thought this would be... good for us."

"And what about you randomly flirting with me before we got here?" I redden are the memory and Izuku blinks.

"It kind of just happened..." he laughs. "And uh-ikndathtirwsctewhnyoublshed."

"Pardon?"

"I thought it was cute when you blushed. You scrunched your nose up and squinted at me... I had fun. I'm sorry if you though-!"

"I liked it." I admit. "And when you beat me in round one, it was like a back hug and we never really do those."

"O-oh..." Izuku flushes.

"Uhmmmm, is- isn't there one more round?!" I shout.

"Yeah!" Izuku won said round because I think he figured out that I couldn't handle the hugging, and flirting he did in the middle (intentional or not).

"This was fun, Izuku-!"

"Are you leaving? Oh, come on, the date's not over yet!" Izuku and I walk about a mile along the beach (he brings that duffel bag from earlier) where there is a blanket being weighed down by a basket. "Come here," he says. I oblige, and he opens the bag, pulling out two of his favorite hoodies. It's a dark green one, one of his few, non-All Might hoodies, and then one that is an All Might. "It's one of my hoodies. I also brought, uh," he takes out a couple of mangas from the bag and I gasp delightedly. "One-Punch Man, the entire series so we could sit and read on the beach. And there's a blanket in here, a-along with a lighter because there are candles, and I also have food? But Kacchan made it, because I don't know how to make any food."

He shuffles around the bag, before completely dropping it. Izu puts his hoodie on himself (the All Might one), and takes the green pullover, and pulling it gently over my head. I slip my arms through the sleeves and Izuku bends down a bit to lift the hood of the hoodie (which I'm swimming in, by the way). And smiles, "there you are. We can also go for a swim, but it's pretty late, in fact we might have to move the date indoors because I'm not sure the blanket will be able to stay out of the waves by the time we finish eating."

"Izuku," I stop him before he goes in another tangent, and hug him tightly. "Thank you so much!"

We did end up moving the date to his house. He sat on his bed reading All Might articles on his phone, with me sitting between his legs (which he used to hug me closer to him. Basically he was criss-cross-applesauce but I was in between that) and excitedly finishi Nd the series. "Kagome?"

"Hmm?"

"I think I like you, too."