chapter sixteen

chapter sixteen: nathan.

Cassie decided to go grocery shopping

She was in need of more food in her home but it was also a tactic to keep her mind off the last interaction with her mother.

She forgot.

Cassie knew that psychosis caused memory loss but...

Her mom forgot that her own son killed himself and Cassie didn't how to bring it up without triggering something in her, or if it even would trigger something.

So, Cassie took her time at the grocery store, grabbing the necessities before leaving an hour later to head back home.

She took the long way home, letting her mind relax before she was left alone in her home to overthink every possible conversation and outcome that can happen between her and her mother.

Cassie eventually makes it home, hauling her groceries up to her apartment and putting them away once she got in.

As she put away the new box of tea she bought, the last of her shopping haul, her phone begins to ring and she answers.

"Hey" she answers the phone as she sees the familiar name, a sigh escaping her lips.

"Hey, Cass. How are you?" Spencer asks in a tone that told Cassie that, from the way she answered, he knew she wasn't doing well.

"I'm fine. Kind of," she responds before sighing, "I don't know. I have a lot to tell you"

"It's been less than a day" he lightly chuckles and she smiles.

"I'm a busy girl"

"Do you want to talk about it?" he asks.

"Over the phone?" Cassie questions, a slight chuckle in her voice.

"Over dinner" he responds and Cassie can almost sense the boyish smile he was probably showing and the thought made her chuckle.

"Do you guys not have a case?"

"No. Just a bunch of paperwork that-"

"You already finished, I'm assuming?" she cuts him off and he chuckles.

"Yes"

"Nerd"

"Hey, I'm even picking up your slack, Bentley"

"Oh, so we're saying last names now" she smiles.

"Yes, we are"

"Oh, get a room" Morgan's voice is heard through the phone, making Cassie laugh.

"Dude, get away from me" Cassie hears Spencer, making her laugh harder, "sorry, he got really close to the phone to say that and I felt his breath on my neck and it freaked me out-why are you laughing so hard?"