chapter fifteen

chapter fifteen: lucinda.

A knock is heard on Hotch's office door about an hour after the BAU's return from South Padre Island and he looks up to see Cassandra Bentley, sending her a polite smile before closing his file

"Cassie, come in," he tells her and she sends him a polite smile in return before entering the office and closing the door behind her, "what is it?" he asks, immediately able to tell that she needed to tell him something rather important.

"I was wondering if I could possibly take the next few weeks off. I know it's very last minute and we just got back but, as you can tell, this last case really...hit home for me" she clears her throat, "and, um, my mom, she's not doing well and-"

"Cassie" Hotch cuts her off and she looks up at him, "take as much time as you need. Don't worry about us" he sends her a warm smile and a slight nod.

"It will only be two weeks—max" she assures him.

"Okay. But if you find yourself needing more time, don't feel guilty for taking that time" he says softly and she lets out a sigh of relief.

"You're the best boss I've ever had" she chuckles slightly.

"I know" he responds, a smile on his face and she laughs again.

"What do you think is going on up there?" Emily asks as she, Rossi, Morgan, JJ, and Penelope looked up to Hotch's office as Cassie closed the door behind her.

"I think she might be requesting some time off" Morgan answers, twirling around in his chair to face Emily's desk where JJ and Rossi stood.

"Oh, no, how's my little flower doing?" Penelope coos sadly as she looks up at the office before looking back down to Morgan for an answer.

"I don't know. This case really effected her" Morgan looks up at Penelope before peeking around her to see Spencer at his desk, a writeup in front of him but he didn't write anything. Instead, he fidgeted with his pen.

"What's on your mind, Reid?" he asks and Penelope steps aside to look at Spencer behind her, everyone looking over to his desk as well.

He shakes his head and stops shaking his pen, "nothing, just...thinking about something"

Morgan shares a look with everyone else.

"It wasn't your fault, kid"

"I could've-I should've seen the signs. I should've been able to see the signs soon enough to save Adam"

"No, I should've" they hear Cassie's voice from behind them and they all turn around, her walking to her desk.

"I know the signs better than anyone and I should've known" she sighs as she packs her things in her bag, getting ready to leave.