chapter forty-one

A/N: Oops, I did it again where I say I'm gonna post more consistently, get writer's block and then disappear for months. Coincidentally, it seems that today marks 3 years since I first started posting this book haha lol love that for me. Anyway, Enjoy :) Appreciate y'alls patience with me <3

chapter forty-one: home sweet home

The two left the clinic about an hour later, Lucy having to head back to her treatment, and they decided to head back to the hotel before deciding what to do with their night

The two left the clinic about an hour later, Lucy having to head back to her treatment, and they decided to head back to the hotel before deciding what to do with their night. They sat on the bed in the hotel room, thinking about what they could do and looking through brochures that the hotel provided.

"May I ask what happened with your mom?" Cassie asks, turning to look at Spencer who was reading. He sees her move in the corner of his eye; her body turning to face him, her head resting on her hand.

"Just one of those days" he shrugs, "She was angry at me for some reason and I couldn't quite get through to her. She eventually began to just avoid eye contact with me so I knew I wouldn't get much out of her today" he sighs.

Cassie reaches her free hand over to grab his hand, bringing it to her to press a light kiss to the back of his hand.

"I'm sorry, love" she says, still holding his hand.

"It's weird. It's like I'm scared of losing her but...I've been losing her all my life" Spencer says, looking down at his lap. Cassie sits up and moves closer to her.

"I get it. It sucks, too, because it's not her fault either. But she's trying, Spence. I just know she's fighting...for you"

"I know. It's just hard because sometimes it feels like she isn't but, again, it's not her. It's her illness and she can't always control how she feels or acts"

"In short, it's a shitty situation" Cassie sighs, resting her head on Spencer's shoulder.

"Enough of that, what do you want to do tonight?" Spencer asks, looking down at her and Cassie sighs dramatically, making him chuckle at her indecisiveness.

A few days passed, Cassie and Spencer going to visit their moms, celebrating Christmas morning separately with their mothers since Diane was still having a hard time. It was the last full day they were in Vegas and they tried one last time, both of them checking into visitation and Spencer walking to his mother who sat in the same chair she had been sitting in the last few times that they had come in to visit.

Cassie waited behind for Spencer's nod of approval and, after a few minutes, he looks up at her with a small smile and nods for her to come over to them.

She didn't realize how anxious she was until her legs were moving her to the back end of the visitation room. She eventually makes it to them and Spencer is quick to grab her hand.

"Mom. This is Cassie, the girl I've been writing to you about" he introduces her and Diane looks up at her before sending her a smile.

"Cassie" she smiles before standing up. Diane grabs Cassie's free hand in both of hers, still looking over Cassie's face, "I've heard so much about you"