chapter six

chapter six: sweet dreams

It was a few weeks later when the team got a call about a second abduction in Las Vegas

As they flew through the sky, Spencer began to move in his sleep beside Cassie. "JJ can't...her baby...JJ" she hears him mutter, grabbing everyone else's attention as well.

"Reid," she calls his name.

He mutters in his sleep again, causing her to put her hand on his knee and shake him slightly.

"Spence" she calls him again and he jolts up Cassie furrowing her eyebrows at him as he wakes up. He sits up straight and fixes the case files that were on his lap before looking at everyone who was already looking at him.

"Are you okay?" Cassie asks him and he nods.

"Yeah, sorry. I was just...dreaming"

"About JJ's baby?" she questions with a slight chuckle.

"We found a six-year-old boy who had been abused and stabbed. Her baby was at the crime scene," Reid explains, "I was trying to get him out of there"

"You know, Reid, simple dream analysis: if there's a baby in your dreams, that baby's actually you," Morgan tells him.

"I don't believe in dream analysis," he responds.

"Actually, there's a part of your brain that remains conscious while you sleep that stimulates the nervous system in which your brain hallucinates. Dreams are just stimulated neurons in the hippocampus, rooted from memories and stressors you are currently afraid of or thinking of. They're perceived to be unconscious manifestations of subconscious mental turmoil. Dream analysts just used this as a way to fix the problems that one doesn't face while conscious but, instead, see while unconscious," Cassie explains and everyone gives her a blank stare, making her glare at all of them.

"Don't look at me like that," she jokingly hisses at them and they smile at her, "Maybe your subconscious is telling you that you want to sit this one out. We are working on a case involving a child and maybe your brain is overloading with that type of turmoil" she shrugs.

"I don't," Spencer shakes his head.

"Well, maybe you're stressed out about going home to Las Vegas. Did you tell your mom you're coming?" Prentiss asks.

"Why aren't we reviewing the case file?" Spencer changes the subject, making Cassie look at him, her head tilting to the side with concern as she tries to read him.