chapter one

chapter one: kid(s) genius

The BAU was abnormally quiet on this day

Aaron Hotchner was getting his ear checked on after the big explosion that happened not too long before and David Rossi was nowhere to be seen.

"Anyone know how Hotch is doing?" Derek Morgan breaks the silence in the bullpen of the large federal office where Spencer Reid, Jennifer Jareau, and Emily Prentiss all gathered around the table.

"I just got off the phone with him. He's on his way back from the doctor's" JJ informs the group.

"Where's Rossi?" Emily asks and Morgan looks at her with a shrug.

"No clue. JJ?" He looks up at the blonde-haired girl.

"Oh, we have a new team member"

"A new member? No one left, though"

"Just because no one left doesn't mean we can't have more people" Emily laughs at Morgan, "Do you know anything about the new person?" She asks, looking to JJ.

"I just know it's a she and she's a transfer from the state department. A detective" JJ sighs, "sorry I don't know more" she lightly chuckles.

Emily laughs before looking at Reid who speedily read each page of the novel that was held in his hands.

"How fast did you say you could read again?" she asks.

"20,000 words per minute" Spencer mumbles, his eyes never leaving the pages before flipping over to the next page.

"That's gotta be a world record" Emily chuckles, making Spencer look away from his book, closing it slightly as he looked up at her.

"Actually, the Guinness world record for the fastest reader is held by Howard Berg. He was recognized in 1990 for reading faster than 25,000 words per minute but anybody can teach themselves-"

"Got it" Emily laughs, cutting him off making him send her a small, tight-lipped smile, knowing he was rambling on random facts, as he usually did.

His eidetic memory allowed him to remember nearly everything he reads and sometimes his rambling mouth just couldn't hold it all in.

"Well, at least you were the fastest at your school-or city" Morgan slightly chuckles, trying to make the young doctor feel better.

"Second fastest" Spencer corrects Morgan, a shy side smile appearing on his face.

"Second? Who reads faster than 20,000 words a minute?" Derek asks in shock.

"Howard Berg" JJ jokes and Derek gives her a look.

"Cassandra Bentley; graduated CalTech the same time I did. She could read 21,000 words per minute" Reid explains briefly and Morgan scoffs.

"So what? You were like, 16. She was, what? 23, 24?"