chapter nine

chapter nine: perfect woman

"I tell them they shouldn't send me-they keep on sending me here

"I tell them they shouldn't send me-they keep on sending me here. I don't know why" Spencer whines to Rossi once they've exited the lecture hall, Rossi complaining about how Reid did on his part.

"Because you're young" Rossi responds

"Well, now we have Cassie. Why didn't they just have her come instead? She's way more interesting than I am and can easily talk to a big crowd on her own. I can't"

"Because she was booked for today"

"What do you mean?" Reid looks at Rossi.

"Woah, Cassanova. You've got all the girls here drooling over you" Cassie walks up behind them, passing a group of girls who stared at Reid as he walked past them.

"What-What are you doing here?"

"Oh, I was asked to be a guest speaker for a criminology class. Well, not really a class, more like a seminar. It's called 'Criminology: The Field Work'" Cassie says the name dramatically, making Reid smile down at her.

"Are you usually asked to be a guest speaker?"

"Oh, yeah. When I was a detective, I spoke a lot and many of the colleges I spoke at loved me so I get asked a lot by neighboring colleges or whatnot" Cassie explains, "Anyway, how did your guys' lecture go?"

"Um...it was okay-"

"Reid told a philosophy joke" Rossi cuts Spencer off, "and no one understood it"

"If they understood it they would've laughed" Reid defends himself.

"Aw. Poor, Spence" Cassie teases her friend, "tell me"

"Tell you the joke?"

"Yeah"

"Oh, God. Please not again" Rossi looks up to the sky.

"How many existentialists does it take to screw in a lightbulb?" Reid asks her, a slight smile on his face and she ponders for a second.

"I don't know. How many?" she asks and his smile widens.

"Two...because one needs to change the lightbulb while the other observes how it symbolizes an incandescent beacon of subjectivity in a netherworld of cosmic nothingness" Reid explains and Cassie laughs, causing Reid to look down at his shoes, glad that someone laughed at and understood his joke today.