chapter fourteen

chapter fourteen: the trigger

Rossi made his way to Madison Cooke's office to ask some questions and hopefully lead the other three to where they can find Adam quicker

"The roof," Cassie says and they take the stairway so it was quicker.

Halfway up, Cassie receives a phone call from Rossi.

"Bentley, check the roof," he says immediately.

"Already on our way" she responds before hanging up.

They reach the roof and immediately see Adam standing there.

"Adam!" Morgan calls out, making the boy turn around.

"W-wha- who are you? What's happening?" he asks but makes his way towards the agents

"You're coming with us"

"I don't-what's going on?" he is truly confused and Cassie takes notice.

"Adam, if you know something or are hiding something, it's in your best interest to tell us now" she informs him as they walk back to the entrance to the roof so they can take him back to the office.

"I don't- I don't know. I don't know what's going on" his voice trembles and something in those words and in his voice causes Cassie's heart to drop to her stomach, making her stop in her tracks.

Reid notices, stopping in his tracks as well while Morgan continues to take Adam down to the lobby and to the cars.

"Are you okay?" he asks.

"What? Yeah. I just-something he said triggered a response. I-sorry" she shakes her.

"Part of the long story?" he asks and she looks up at him, surprised yet not-so surprised that he remembered that she had a long, upsetting story to tell him about her life.

Her physical response to the question he asked gave him the answer and he just nods.

"You okay to go?"

"Yeah, yeah. Sorry. Let's go" she says before heading down to follow Morgan, Spencer staying behind her.

They all make it to the precinct in 30 minutes and Spencer offers to go inside the interrogation room with Adam, finding that Adam felt more comfortable talking to him.

Well, he was more comfortable talking to either Spencer or Cassie but Cassie wanted to watch the interrogation from outside; she had a hunch that she wasn't ready to share yet until absolutely certain she was heading in the right direction.

"He doesn't look like the dominant-partner type, does he?" Cassie hears Emily and Hotch turn the corner.

"He's our guy" she hears Morgan, causing her to turn around from facing the window to join the little circle the agents had created.