chapter twelve

chapter twelve: lay it all on me

"You never told me about your mom," Spencer says quietly as the light turns green and he continues driving

"I never tell anyone" she justifies her action, "she's got kind of a...reputation in my home town. I got used to disregarding her existence"

"Why is she," he clears his throat, nervous as to whether the question he was about to ask was insensitive or not, "why was she put into hospice care?"

"Um" her voice is shaky and he looks to her again.

"You don't have to answer that," he says quickly, "if you don't want to" he adds.

Before she could even get the chance to answer, Spencer had pulled into the hotel lot, reaching the front where valet was ready to take the car.

The two exit once they are parked, grabbing their things and heading into the building.

They head to the elevator, the ride silent between them, and they get off on the same floor, their rooms right next to each other.

Spencer decides to not press her anymore as they both reach their room. He takes one last look at her as they place their keycard into the lock to open their doors, watching her keep her head down and hearing her door beep, unlocking.

His does as well and he opens the door but Cassie hesitates as she opens her door.

Spencer stops before heading into his room to make sure she walks in but she doesn't. Instead, she looks up at him, seeing as he was already looking at her and her mouth opens as if she was going to say something before she closes it back shut.

"Can I hang in your room for a bit?" she eventually says and his eyes soften on her frame before stepping back as an invitation to his room, making her close her door and slowly make her way over to his room.

He follows behind her, closing the door behind him and he watches as she sits at the edge of the bed.

It's quiet for a few seconds, Spencer taking a seat next to her after setting his things down on the table.

"My mom is a drug addict" she breaks the silence, "methamphetamine"

Spencer looks at her, but she avoids eye contact with him.

"Has been all her life until she met my dad and had me. When my dad died, she fell back again but worse. Spent all of our money for drugs to the point where we couldn't afford the house we lived in and we got foreclosed on"

"Is that why you lived with your uncle?" he asks, remembering her telling him about her uncle and she nods.

"Yeah. She never got better after that and soon she developed psychosis. She would hallucinate about things that weren't there and she had extreme aggression that she would take out on me but I dealt with it until I was able to move out for college. I eventually was able to put her into a facility, one that I thought was the best choice but I received a phone call a few weeks ago saying otherwise" she sighs and, as much as he would love to hold her in his arms, Spencer is unsure of how to respond to her story.