Loving Like Mine

10 years ago; Spring, April; Chance's penthouse

Joy stood with her arms crossed in annoyance in Chance's kitchen. "I don't know why you call yourself mad, Chance. We just got back together, like, I don't know! An hour ago!"

"That don't mean shit to me, Joy." He shrugs. Now out of his suit and in sweats. "Take that damn wig off bruh." Joy squints her eyes at him.

"You changed clothes too!" she brings up. "Plus, you slick not my nigga. Don't tell me what to do! I'on care bout that Minnelli shit for real...you know I'm not one of them bitches you been bussin down at yo other spot."

"What other spot? What other bitches?"

"You wanna play dumb. Oh, you real Minnelli today huh? Shae, Kei, Erin, got damn some chick over on Nawfside, I know her Instagram name is BookLover or some shit...Adrianna, Christin." Chance couldn't help but let a laugh out. "I know all about yo Southside exploits sir." (Cuz I luhh y'all...tehe)

"What about Eric though? Since you wanna pull my card."

"Bye, Chance. I'm not doing this with you." She takes her wig off and flings it at him.

"Dis shit stank!" she could hear his laugh all the way down the hall. Joy flops on his Alaskan king-sized bed. "Lemme wash yo hair..."

"Right now?"

"Mhm..." he pleads with her. "I can do what I wanna do when I'm a single man, Joy. You know that. I was never not honest about that."

"Don't try to come back here now that you bored."

"Yet, you in my bed...and you let me inside of you just as easily."

She flicks her finger on his nose. "Familiar dick is better than hopping on a new one...hence Eric."

"Wow...you used me? Sounds familiar." He pulls her head closer to him to take her braids down.

"I don't know what you're implying, Chance. I've never used you...before today." She turns with a devilish smirk.

"Shut up." He ignores her at first. Their back and forth banter stop for a moment. "I didn't like being apart." Joy purrs under his big hands.

"Yet, you came up with the suggestion that we break up." Old wounds open. And I still came up short, she thinks. Too much stress...

"Because we were on the campaign thing at the time. It made sense. People were speculating."

"They'll speculate now too!"

"I'm already elected. What the fuck they gon do? Spread shit? Yeah we together...so?"

Joy yawns. "You're crazy." She follows him in the bathroom to wash her hair. "I hope it hasn't expired." She squints her eyes at him.

"This shit expires?" he yells in disbelief.

"Yes, babe. It expires...your products expire so do mine." She leaves and returns with her own bottles. "Where are your clothes?"

"Get in!" he stands under the water. So, he's dead serious, she thought.

Demanding ass, she blushes. "Gimme a few minutes." She leaves the room. Older memories flash before her. Shit, not now... Gathering her courage, Joy returns to the bathroom again to join him. There she stands under the hot water. One could argue that the water is washing away the past. Going between shy and bold was an ever battle. The two could never exist in the same realm at the same time. "I'm proud of you." She whispers while rubbing his chest. "I just wanted you to know that." Chance busied himself lathering and washing her hair. Scrub scrub, an idle purr here and there.