Testing the Waters

Early November

Meadow landed a few hours later in Sunset Valley, California. She flipped her hair over her shoulder and got up from her first-class seat. After a conversation with her sisters, she looked up and down the aisle. "Finally." Her smile is wide.

A few minutes later, she saw her boyfriend, Brandon, waiting for her with roses and her favorite candies. "There she is." he opened his arms to her. Meadow walked into them wearily. "You look tired."

"I am. It's been a long week, hell a long ass month." She allowed him to lead her out of the airport after receiving her bags.

"You just started this job! It's stressing you that much?" he hands her the small gifts once they were outside. Meadow heard the chuckle in his voice. She rolled her eyes.

"Babe." She stopped walking dramatically. Brandon lifts his eyebrows up, expecting her to go on. "Yes but no. My boss is a workaholic. I'm turning my phone off now that I'm with you." She says as she sends a confirmation text to her sisters and cousins in the group chat. Brandon puts her bags in the car while Meadow makes herself comfortable in the front seat.

"You hungry?"

"Not really. It's too late to eat anyway." She pointed to the clock. Brandon revved the engine, and they took off. "How was your week?"

"I heard that I'm up for promotion." He smiled brightly.

"Are you gonna take it?"

He thought about the question for a while. "No. I need some seniority behind my name before it feels legit." He is honest with her. Meadow nodded, although she was the best at what she did, she was still very young. Sometimes she wondered if people really took in what she had to say.

Silence hugged the interior of the car warmly. She touched the screen of the phone to check for Jireh's texts or emails, only to be reminded that her phone was off. She sighed. I need a break and I'm going to get it. I know how to balance.

Remembering her purpose for being here, Meadow relaxed in the passenger seat and smelled her roses. It felt good to be home.

About an hour later, Brandon pulled into the driveway of his home. He unlocked the car, got out to let Meadow out, and got her bags. "It's good to be home." she blurted with a smile.

"Are you considering moving there permanently?" Brandon asked while unsetting his alarm.

"I don't really want to. My family is still there but I love California as it is." she explains. Brandon shrugs while making drinks. "I missed you."

"I missed you too, Dough."

"Eww, I hate that name." she playfully frowned. She appreciated the light banter, but she couldn't help but feel like she should've been working.

"So?" he cuddled next to her after handing a wine glass. "I like it on you."

Meadow rolled her eyes and sipped her wine. After the movie, the two went to bed. Her fingers tingled to check her phone, but she was determined not to. She turned over and cuddled deeper into Brandon.

The next day, the two went for a walk on the beach. "You know I pay a house note to stay here and can count the times I've been down here." He held her hand gently while their toes dived in the sand.

"I can only imagine." She stopped to watch the waves crash on the rocks. "The breeze is chilly in November, huh." She shivered a little.

"After the fires we've had? I'm grateful."

"See that's the reason I probably won't be back." She shook her head. "The anxiety I had..."

"Yeah...." Brandon shook his head along with her. "I was watching the news and saw where Demetri's family isn't gonna pursue a case."

Meadow sighed. "I would wanna know why."

"Aye, we all got somebody that want us dead. That nigga just happened to make an enemy out of the wrong muhfucka."

"Or family..." Meadow mumbled inaudibly. Brandon had his back turned, staring at the sunrise. The pair make it to the house and begin breakfast. A break from the hustle and bustle of their lives. That's what Meadow needs.

The following Monday, she clicked down the hall as she normally would while everybody else was preparing for Monday meetings with Jireh and Troy. She opened her office and pulled out her files from her bottom left drawer.

She entered the room after everybody else and takes her place on the right hand of Jireh with a hair flip. He does a double take in mild displeasure. "You just now getting here?"

"Fresh off the plane, jack. Any other questions?" she clips quickly. Jireh shakes his head and turns his attention to Troy.

After the meeting, Jireh requested that Meadow meets him in his office before her meeting with Scar, Stone, and Royce. He opened his suit jacket and sat down in the plush office chair.

Meadow sits on the other side. "What?"

"You didn't respond to anything I sent you."

"Because it was the weekend! I was with my boyfriend, like I said." She rubs her temples. "Look, you have me five days out of the week. FIVE. Mostly uninterrupted. I know it's something you like to do on the weekends!"

She stands in her fussing stance. Jireh knew it well. "You need to get out of the damn office and live a little. Work, unfortunately, will be here when you get back. I promise."

"I do things I want." He answers.

"Well." She places her hands on her hips. "Can I do something I want to do?"

"No." he smirked.

"Go smooth to hell, Jireh. We have this argument three out the five days. Sometimes I think you think you my man or something." She stands up and smooths her skirt. "Fooling with you gon make me late." She looks down at her Apple Watch.

He doesn't return the light laugh while Meadow leaves his office in a rush. His fingers tingled. Jireh shakes his head to rid himself of the thoughts. Thoughts of what could be. But maybe he really has lost that chance.