When You Least Expect It

Miami, Florida

Lyra invited Dawn to her home to discuss the moves of their business. Dressed casually, Dawn sat in front of her best friend with a smile on her face. Her energy was infectious. Lyra was in a nice space as well. Neither would acknowledge where or why that energy was so infectious in the first place.

"I think we should shut the business down for the summer." Lyra fixes her friend a glass of wine and sat in front of the view of the water.

"Any reason why?"

"Minor mistakes are costing us time, our prep teams are exhausted. We are exhausted and we haven't been home to see our parents outside a lazy holiday in six years."

"I was wondering if you'd remember the day we got started independently." Dawn teases her. "Our finances can stand to keep payroll while we're off so I support it."

"I wouldn't have suggested it if we couldn't keep afloat during the time, D. You know me."

"Now that we've decided that, you look...relaxed."

"I had a spa appointment this morning." Lyra admits. "But I got tea."

"Spill it hoe!"

"Orion asked me on a date. Well you knew he'd been asking for weeks. I caved like a weak bitch."

"Well, what was it like? Did you enjoy it?"

"I loved it. Real private in a gazebo on a private beach...I mean, I really liked it."

Dawn doesn't say anything yet. "Ms. Don't let these niggas in our heads is indeed letting a nigga in her head. What a time!"

"What? No I'm not. If he wanna spend money, let him do it."

"And your phone been buzzing since I got here. And it's flipped over. Answer that man, you know you want to."

"He's not talking about nothing so I'm not." Lyra turns her attention to the view again after reading his texts. "And you..."

"Q took me to the movies and the arcade. Haven't done that since high school. I liked that."

"Is that where you got that God awful human sized bear from in your bedroom?"

"No, he bought it. It's like the one at the arcade though. We never got a chance to go back and play some more to win the other one."

"Do you like him?"

"Do you like O?" Dawn isn't letting her off easy. "I want to like Q, I do...but, I feel like I've been here before, and I haven't learned my lesson." She admits.

"That's exactly the struggle I'm having. I haven't seen a reason to let go yet. ."

"Is that all it was?" Dawn watches her friend. "Is that all we were? We lost half our net worth behind the whole mess...I think about that from time to time."

"Had to be. I never really mourned the nigga, just the money we lost. Sex wasn't even groundbreaking, just mildly convenient. Shit..." the girls started laughing before Dawn's phone started ringing for a FaceTime call. Lyra smirked and beckoned her to answer.

"Who told you to call me on FaceTime without an appointment?"

"I don't need an appointment, D." his voice echoed through the room. Then his shirtless body appeared in the screen. "Aye, I'm going to the Dolphins OTAs practice. You wanna go?"

"Now?"

"Yeah..."

Lyra beckoned her to go. "I guess...I'll meet you out there." She agrees and hangs up.