Pageantry Pt. 3

April

Dawn and Lyra worked their magic in a month's time. And now the show will go on. Beautiful flowers were being delivered as Joy got dressed. Cameras and mics were set up strategically all over the venue as Joy threw a holy fit about having her day televised for the world to see.

Even now her lip trembled in anger. "I need to kick somebody ass." She mumbled. But the barely showing expectant mother was gorgeous on her day.

"Don't even think about this day, baby girl. You look even more stunning today." Her mother cheered her up. "And Miami is such a beautiful destination to have a wedding." She kisses her temple.

"I feel like we're rushing. I just wanna enjoy everything. The wedding planning, the stresses of finding a perfect dress, I mean everything. I thought running for president is what I wanted but it's clear that it's not."

"I'ma let you have your meltdown like you did as a child but after today, you gonna put yo big girl drawls on and you gon serve this damn country like I know you can."

Joy folds her lip up in anger. "Ma'am?" her mother was an Air Force veteran. "I can't hear you."

"Yes ma'am." Joy wipes her face. The rest of the Minnelli wives gulped in fear.

"Whew chile...if I knew Joy was cut from that kinda cloth I woulda cussed Chance out years ago." Noni mumbles to Summer.

"Now you see why they were chosen." Laci smiles in victory.

"Thirty-four years old and yo mama still gotta get in yo ass at least once, huh?" Alexis chuckles.

"I almost told you some choice words but I'ma hush." Joy roll her eyes. "I'm getting married today." The realization finally hits her.

The women present cheered. "Finally, Lawd." Quinn hugged her friend. Joy was dressed by her best friends and mothers. Then they rushed out of the room to take their places as Maid of Honor (Quinn) and bridesmaid (Alexis).

Chance stood watching the waves of the private beach. Mykel slung his arm around him with a smile. "You ready?"

"Born ready."

"A husband, father, and president. I'm proud of you bruh. Win or lose. You still won."

"Thank you."

"Aye dawg, yo wife look good as fuck!" Q2 walked in with a champagne glass.

"I almost knocked yo ass through that wall."

"Oh nah I was just telling you." Q2 was the only groomsman. Mykel was obviously best man. "Let's go! Everything is set up."

Joy linked arms with her father. Cameras flashed all around her, but her eyes only locked on Chance. His mouth dropped and his eyes welled against his wishes. Her father gave her away and Chance took her with an appreciative nod.

"We are gathered here today for a special purpose. A merging of minds, spirits and families." A collective mhm is given by the crowd of Minnelli's. Joy's small family were in front. The official over the service hands Chance the mic.

"From the moment I laid eyes on you as a freshman at Eastview University, I knew. I knew I would fall in love with you. I knew I would eventually marry you. And today, I pledge to remain your companion and friend, I promise to be with you always, to care for you, and to love and cherish you no matter how far apart we may be.

"I will always show an interest in the things you do and your ideas. I will be with you in your heart, and keep you safe in mine. I will encourage you to continue growing as an individual as we work toward our mutual goals. I stand with you as your friend and husband and acknowledge that your choices are valid ones. I promise to give you love, honesty, trust and commitment, and, in general, keep your life interesting as we grow old together."