Confusion

Sunny looked up at the stage and her mouth dropped. I know that ain't who I think it is, she thought. Chance stepped to the podium and the cheering seized almost completely. The level of control that the man had was unbelievable, even to the political analysts that hated him.

Just up ahead in a press box, sat the rest of the Miami sector of the Minnelli Family, completely secluded from the crowd.

"Good afternoon, my fellow Americans." He spoke in the mic. Women just behind Sunny almost fainted. I see why his ass had to gon head and get married, she thought. "As I've anticipated, today I introduce my VP candidate, again." He leaves room for the crowd to laugh. The camera cuts to Joy's face where she's playfully rolling her eyes and rubbing her protruding belly.

"Over time, I've noticed that people have placed expectations and opinions on what I would say is a remarkably successful campaign. Not just in polls and numbers, but the connections with the real people in the very country we call home. Choosing a vice president today does not stop the work that must be done. It will be hard, gritty, and nothing our nation has seen before. And..." he stops for dramatic effect, "it is necessary."

"I have chosen someone I could trust even more than my own wife. Someone who upholds the same values without me having to ask. Someone that revels in the challenge of change, upheaval, and transformation." Chance stops again, with a hint of a playful smirk on his face. "I now introduce to you, my brother, my other side of the same coin, Mykel Minnelli."

Sunny's ears started ringing while processing what was going on in front of her. The crowd cheered the man on as he stepped away from the podium and allowed Mykel to take his place. Time is moving in slow motion.

"Good afternoon, to my Family and friends..." Mykel's distinct voice grabs attention. Before she could stop herself...

Tingles danced up and down her back. A shiver caught her off guard while her breath hitched. The moon was high in the sky. Light like a feather, calming even. Sunny blinked up out of her sleep. "I want this one." She heard him whisper. "Allow me to keep this one..."

"Why do you like sharks?" Sunny frowned. The pair held hands in front of the shark tank at the aquarium. Tingles danced comfortably.

"Because they roam alone, and get shit done by themselves. They don't need to run in packs to survive."

"And nobody likes them."

"You think a shark gives a fuck?"

"No but you should. We all need somebody, sometimes."

"Look at the pot calling the kettle black!" he calls her out.

Sunny rolls her eyes. "I'm just saying."

"...with that said, America, I accept the Vice-Presidential ticket with my brother, Chance."

The crowd cheered and music blasted again. Their parents joined them onstage to celebrate. This can't be real, she thought. With the event over, the crowds were ushered almost just as the music ended. Talking heads on tv were dissecting each part of the speeches, trying to find fault, while others were finding everything right.

Joy stood in flats now. "Before we go eat, we should thank the volunteers today." The brothers followed her out.

A small group of volunteers huddled together talking about the event itself. "I should've worn better shoes." Sunny pointed to her feet. A hushed tone fell over the group. A chill goes up her spine.

Sunny turns around the rest of the group. "My name is Joy Minnelli and on the behalf of the Minnelli campaign, we would like to personally thank you all for taking the time out to make our day run smoothly." The group began to clap and some even whistled. She made sure to keep eye contact with any of them at a minimum.

"Especially... is there a Sunny McCoy here?" Joy asked.

"That's me."

"We heard about your changes to the tech this morning. And it worked out great, so thank you for that." Joy stands in front of the woman. They're eye level. Quinn and Alexis make note of this.

Sunny suddenly remembered the man from earlier that day. Her eyebrows furrowed while watching the group walk away. It was almost like he was never there at all...or maybe so.

Mykel shook his head while getting in the blacked-out Cadillac Escalade. "What did you find?" he looked over into those familiar grey eyes.

"Some folk used today to infiltrate the campaign."

"I take it that you're gonna have a great time with that."

"Absolutely. OB3313 wouldn't be what it is without a little...investigation." He opens and closes the binder. "But one thing I will say, one person had no business being a volunteer today and you know it."

"Of course, but my hands are tied concerning that right now."

Late that night, Sunny cleaned her kitchen and tended to Shadow. "I'm exhausted today baby." She rubbed her kitten's head gently. "I might take off tomorrow too."

A hard knock at her door stopped her musings. She checked her phone, not a text in sight. Another hard knock further grabbed her attention. Sunny got up from the sofa in a hurry. "Who is it?" she yelled. The person doesn't answer so she grabs the gun she keeps in the foyer desk drawer.

She opens the door with it hanging casually by her side. "What are you doing here?"

"I came to see you. We need to talk."

"You damn right we do." She looks outside behind him after he forces himself inside. "You have no security, Mr. Vice President?"

"I'm a Minnelli first, Sunny. I don't need security."

"Cockiness is so beneath you." She scowled. "You here now, so talk."

"None of this was in my control."

"You were forced?"

"Something like that."

"I don't believe that shit. And another ting, I don't want your fuckin money. What kinda bitch you think I am?" she showed him the screen of the 10 grand still sitting in cyberspace. "Whatever you think-"

"I gave you that for your time."

"I'm not a prostitute, nigga!"

"You misunderstand me. I asked you to call out the same day I learned about the candidacy. I had to step down from my company within 12 hours, Sunny. When I remembered the date, it was too late to take you anywhere, so I compensated you for lost wages."

Sunny sits on the couch. Her kitten immediately resting her head on her lap. Mykel takes the time to sit next to her, his green eyes pleading with her to understand.

"What are you asking me now?"

"An opportunity at an 'us'."

"I don't think that's possible, Mykel. We were always in two different worlds. And now, it's even worse."

"That's it?"

"Just like you, it's not like I have a choice now, do I?"