Nobody's Bidness

15 years ago; Fall; Freshman Year
November

Joy walked off the elevator with her books in her bag. She was annoyed with the semester now as they're creeping closer and closer to Thanksgiving. One more test before finals. She would admit that she'd been riding high of their fall break.

"Chance!" her voice bounced off the walls. "I am over this shit. Do I even want to be in school anymore?"

"Yes." He bites down on an apple.

"No, the hell I don't. I'm tired." She mumbles.

"You need to go out." He slides in the island. "Throw some ass. Pop some pussy."

"Aight, you're not hanging with Alexis from now on." Joy belted out a laugh at her almost boyfriend.

"Ain't that what y'all be sayin?"

"Bye Chance. I'm not doing this with you." She rolls her eyes, warming up the pizza on the counter in front of her.

"I'm just saying bruh...That's how y'all be acting." He chuckles as she sends him a finger. "Let's go out." He pulls her in his lap.

"Go out? You? Heh..."

"I'm serious...just us." Chance rolls his eyes. "I can't not be prepared if a nigga wanna get wrong?"

"That wasn't too long ago, Chance." Joy reminds him. "The man peed himself."

"Just know, the Minnelli's got you for life, Ellie. You family." He promises while watching her open her laptop to finish her paper.

About three hours later, after their work is done, Joy sat facing the view of the water with her back to the door of the room.

"I won't be here for Thanksgiving." He draws her attention back to her.

Joy doesn't respond immediately. "You told me."

"You sure? I don't remember..."

"We're just having fun right?"

Then he leaves the room to get something. "I got you something."

"Got me what?" Joy frowns for a second.

"This." He dangles a brooch with diamonds and her birthstone intertwined in the design. Joy blinks. Oh, okay, she thinks.

"Uh, thank you." Her face was all pink. "I love it." She held the box it came in with care.

"I hoped you would. But, what about this..."

"About what?" She asks again.

"You know me by now, Joy. I don't play games... Eh, I wouldn't call this fun...it's rather serious to me." Chance pulls the smaller woman in his lap. She blushes.

"Now you wanna take control, Mr. Minnelli?" she flirts.

"I gave you the brooch, yeah?" he gestures to the decorated box covered wrist. "I don't give just anybody gifts, Joy. You know that." She nods. Chance kisses her lips. "Okay then." He turns her back toward the sunset, resting his face in the crook of her neck.

A comforting feeling between the pair. Chance bit her neck gently. Sparks going crazy. With the Touch and Kiss ignited, the next logical step should be the Bond.

Joy stares into the pair of green-grey eyes of Chance and right then, she knew she was in love with the quirky Minnelli boy. A stark contrast to his cousins. In that moment, she wanted all he had to offer.

"Wait wait." Joy nervously giggles, feeling Joy's velvety lips on her neck. His hands up her thighs. They've been here before but even now it still feels different.