Mirrors

Subtitle: Dirt off My Shoulder
Two months later; present day
Winter Forest, California

"Mayor Washington, you have a conference call at 8 am, meeting with the governor at 11:30, mayor's brunch at 12 pm sharp." Quinn walked in her office like she does every morning. She looks down at her Apple Watch. "We shouldn't even be here right now, as a matter fact."

Joy doesn't respond.

"Joy!" Quinn called her. She jumps. "Did you hear anything I said?"

"Uh, yeah. Conference call at 12?"

"No, conference call at 8 am, meeting with the governor and then the mayor's brunch at 12."

"Oh! Okay." Joy squeezes her eyes tightly. "I'm ready."

"Long night?" Quinn asked her.

"I dreamed a lot, still doesn't feel like I got any sleep though." she answered. Joy shakes her head at her best friend sadly. "Before I forget, who is on the guest list of the mayor's brunch?"

"Mayors..." Joy tunes her out. "...and last but not least, Mayor Minnelli will be joining us this year."

"Since when?" she chuckled. "He hasn't been in years...Isn't he on the presidential campaign trail?" she shakes her head in playful disbelief. Quinn shrugged her shoulders. Joy leaves her office to go home to change. Today was supposed to be a laid-back day at the office but she'd completely forgotten about the engagements for the day.

Joy chooses a cocaine white pants suit and yellow snakeskin shoes and matching clutch.

She fixes her hair once more and heads back out. This time, with just enough time to make her conference call. Joy ignores it while wondering why Chance was coming to the Mayors Brunch in the first place. The black Escalade glides over the road on its way to Sunset Valley. The mayors of the state met in the state's pseudo-capital for the event.

Nobody liked trying to drive into Sacramento. For anything.

"I don't know why Chance Minnelli is wasting time coming to the brunch in the first place." A mayor from Southern California spouted. Some believe he was secretly envious of the man because of some mess from years ago. Joy wouldn't know due to her own goals in the same timeframe.

"I look forward to seeing you, in a little bit ladies and gentlemen." The governor squeals in excitement. He was an eccentric character.

"Likewise, Governor." Chance's smooth creole accent rang over the call. Joy sat up in almost shock.

Quinn looks at her with widened eyes. "Oh, he's serious." she couldn't resist. Joy doesn't say anything. She does look down at her hands. Making sure the makeup was still intact.

An hour later, she hands her left hand to the butler at the governors' mansion. Alexis and Quinn went in to get started on their jobs. "Always a pleasure, Mayor Washington."

"Forever the flirt! How are the wife and children?" she chuckles.

"My boy got a scholarship to Eastview."

"A fine school, if I must say so myself." They share a chuckle. "And if I get an opportunity, I'll get you a rice cake. You know I can't stand those things."

"You haven't failed me yet." He laughs again. Joy poses for the media, most of which were yelling questions at her about the presidential race coming to Winter Forest in just a few weeks. She declines any questions and walks in. No sign of Chance, she thought, good. I shouldn't be looking for him anyway.

Just as she walked in the mansion, another completely blacked out Escalade pulled up. Cameras went crazy. The servants rushed to the newcomer's aid almost immediately. Joy relished in the alone time inside the mansion until it got entirely crazy. She turned her attention to the window to watch like a guilty pleasure. They had a few minutes before they had to meet the governor anyway.