Who You Really Dealing With?

15 years ago; Fall; Freshman Year
October

The next morning, loud rap music boomed through the beach home just after sunrise. "What the fuck?!" Joy moved out of Chance's arms.

"Wake that ass up, Joy! You said you'd help me." Freya barged in with heels in hand. "Oh, I ain know you was laid up..." Freya closed the door just as quickly as she opens.

"If it's up, then it's stuck!" Meadow yelled. "She coming? The show is in like 2 days!" Their bags sat at the door, waiting.

"Oh my God..." Joy kicked the sheets off and made her way to the bathroom to do her morning routine. "Y'all hoes don't know what sleep in means huh?" she fussed in the kitchen.

"I don't!" Freya stuck her tongue out. Joy shook her head with a small smile. They fixed breakfast together before standing in the huge foyer in random pairs of heels.

"One of my many tricks is I get a song I'm feeling for the moment in my head, and walk to it, if there's their music then follow the beat. Like another extension of myself."

"Joy! Please!" Quinn starts laughing. Joy gives her a look. "Oh, you're serious." Quinn swallowed her laugh.

"Indeed."

"Why would I do that?" Freya laughed.

Joy starts walking the room. "Suuhhh, Freya is different from the performer you are. So, you need to move like it is." She flips her hair with a spin. "Try it." She totally misses all eyes in the room were on her. Stuck on her.

"Maybe that's what you need. A separation?" Quinn suggested while Freya tried Joy's walk to perfection. "You didn't really need us."

"I do! I only go in a zone when I'm performing." She admits just as the Escalade comes to retrieve her and her sisters. "Well, the end of the road is here." A small world of normalcy was coming to an end.

"Damn, so soon?" Joy frowned. She'd never been the type to get attached to people so quickly but Freya and her sisters were clearly an exception to that rule.

"Yes. I have rehearsal and sound checks. I was sure I had more...time." Freya briefly looked back at Titan. Joy files that in her mind for future reference. Luna answers the door for the driver. "Y'all are coming to my show?"

"Yesss..." Alexis assures her for the umpteenth time. "You're gonna do great." They hug the girls before seeing them off. Joy notices she purposely dodges Titan.

Ten minutes later, their bags are loaded in the SUV and they pull off. "Well..." Joy turns and smiles. She acknowledges how cold the room feels after the girls leave.

Quinn and Alexis meet Joy in her room. "Why do I feel like Freya is someone we've met before?" Alexis asks. "I hadn't had the time to ask before now...I just have a sinking feeling."

"Why would you say that?"

"Joy..." Alexis searches for the words. "That girl has amazing talent. Singer-songwriter, composer, producer. I don't know, I just feel like we're all missing something."

"Well, we have two days before it all comes to a head." Joy shrugged. "I like her though. And if what she's said is true, I hope the music industry doesn't change her." The room is somber.

"I hope that's not the only that changes her."

Two days later, Chance stood on the top of the hill with his arms wrapped around Joy. The Fall Music Festival was just taking off. "Come on mane! We gon miss the first act!" he yelled at his cousins. They all carried their backpacks and serious expressions. Titan was the lone one at the top, Joy and her friends in the middle, Chance on the left with Mykel on the outside right, Malik, Kingston, Troy and Jireh closed off the rear.

"Luna said to go to will call? Our names are on the list?" Titan yelled back at Mykel again.

"Yeah, she texted me last night."

"I'm excited as hell." Joy jumped a little. Three days of nonstop music. The closer they get, the more people are sprawled everywhere. "One thang bout Meg De Stallion, she gon shake her ass."

"If I had allat, I'd never stop shaking too." Alexis stops in the middle of their walking to throw a quick twerk. "Shid..."

They make it to will call and sure enough all of their names were on the list and they're let in with neon yellow bracelets. "Oh, we official official."

"This will you be your first and last damn trip, Alexis." Joy mumbled.

"It ain't and you know it." The group walks down a long hallway.

The attendant brings them to a room with refreshments and big screen tvs. They all get settled on the couches and some drinks. "Flame will be out to greet you soon."

"Flame?!" Joy sat up straight out of Chance's side. "What you mean Flame?!" There is dramatic arguing among them just as Freya walks in a basic white robe.

"What's all this yelling for?" she chuckles.

"Freya, you're Flame?" Joy doesn't waste time.

"No, I'm Freya." she insists. "I hope you enjoy the complimentary stuff that I can't enjoy right now." She pats her clothed stomach.

"We got 10 minutes." Luna walked in the room with a headrest on her head. She gives a head nod really quick.

Meadow's head is buried in a phone. "Hey y'all!" she breaks out in a smile. Freya bids them farewell and leaves the room. The room is silent before they all left to watch the show from the secure and air-conditioned VIP area.

Smoke started billowing out from under the stage. Freya suddenly appeared in an elaborate headdress and two piece swimsuit looking costume. "I heard y'all been looking for a bitch?"

"Oh my fucking God! She is Flame!" Joy holds on to the railing

"Oh my fucking God! She is Flame!" Joy holds on to the railing. "Chance look!" she pulled on his hand. Freya throws a step out and drops low, singing her current number one hit.

"I'm that bitch!" she proclaimed, patting her vagina area. "And don't forget it!" The crowd got louder and raunchier.

"I'm that bitch!" the crowd sang along with her. Freya winded her hips like she was riding a dick.

"I love how she kept her identity anonymous until tonight." Quinn nodded her head. "Marketing on point."

"Her album sales bout to go crazy!" Jireh pulls the articles on it up. "We got a star on our hands."

Freya disappears under the stage. Now wearing a sports bra and baggy jeans and running shoes. She performs one more song. The crowd is not satisfied. They are chanting her stage name. "Period."