Natural Progression

15 years ago; Fall; Freshman Year
November

"Are you sure you're not gonna eat that?" Joy comes from across the table with her fork. "I wanna try that." she quipped playfully.

"I was going to eat that, Joy." Chance is dry and playfully squinting his eyes at her.

"If you drew your eyes any lower, you'd have to close them."

Chance drops his mouth while playfully holding his chest. "Wow." He laughed. "I thought we was better than that."

"Had to humble you a lil bit real quick." Currently the pair were tucked away from it all in Chance's penthouse. Without saying what it was, Joy understood she was taken. Not that she minded...it was a natural progression. And for that, she was grateful.

"Did you enjoy thanksgiving?" she changes the subject.

"Not really..." Chance takes a moment to answer. "I enjoyed the week off though, if that's what you're asking."

"I mean, with your family..."

"Oh hell nah." Chance doesn't waste time. "They crazy."

"And you not?"

"That's a subjective question..." he smirks playfully. "But, nah the break was straight. I was just missing one thang though, shawt."

"And that is?"

"That pussy!"

Joy drops the fork and coughs in surprise. "Sir." her face started turning red with embarrassment. "And this is exactly why I refused to answer the phone in the first place." She pointed her finger at him definitively.

"Wow, so that's how you really feel?" The apparent hurt in his voice almost made her change her stance. Almost.

"Yes." She handed her plate to the maid and stood up to leave the room. "I'm going to take a nap because you clearly wilin and I do not have time for it."

Joy left Chance alone and settled herself in the room. She massaged her neck before turning the tv on. She held her planner in front of her with a small frown. "Maybe I should re-strategize this if I..." the door opens unexpectedly. Joy slams the book quickly. Chance props himself up against the doorframe in curiosity.

Part of him was already annoyed that she was still pushing their connection further apart, teetering between friendship and relationship status. "What's in the book?"

"Nothing..." she slides it in the nightstand. The tattoo on her left ring finger tingled enough for her to shake it. "Well, just notes."

"For what? Finals?" he pushed further. He walked away from the doorframe toward the bed where Joy sat. She shook her hand again.

"No...it's stupid but I wrote down my goals for the next five years." She retrieved the book from the nightstand and opened it.

"And none of them have anything to do with you winning the crown senior year." He immediately points out, while his head is on her shoulder and an arm around waist.

"Because what if that's not my goal, but a goal you want for me?"

"Even if that's true, I just think you should at least put it as a goal."

"I make attainable goals, Chance."

"You'll see what I see when you run for Miss Sophomore." He points to the second goal on the page. Joy slams the book shut once again and turned her attention to the tv, choosing to ignore his declaration. "All jokes aside, I did miss you."

"It was like a week, you didn't miss me that much. Family time is just as important..." she reminds him.

"You are my family." He places his face in the crook of her neck. He felt her lips lift into a genuine smile. Her heart raced a little.