Be Prepared

Meadow sat in her office with a heavily pregnant Freya, going over specifics. "Are you sure you want to replace Kai (pronounced kI)?"

"I want her to enjoy the fruits of her labor before coming back to work." Freya nodded her head.

"Okay, in that case, I have this girl." She pulls up the YouTube video of a beauty guru giving a simple tutorial. "I love her super glam looks for Flame."

"I was just thinking of that. When the time comes."

"I'm glad the fans are taking to you just as they did Flame."

"I am too." For the past few months, Freya has been randomly performing in Denver and Ice Cliff's lowkey clubs. People have been showing up in the droves for the opportunity to see her. "But I know they're craving Flame."

"At this point, we're all craving her. I miss seeing you in that light." Meadow smiled. "But seeing that you're sold on her, she's going to be at a beauty expo downtown in a few days, we should go."

"Just let me know the time." Freya agreed when the door opened. Luna and baby Josiah wheeled in with his stroller.

"Making plans?"

"Always. And hiding from Jireh."

"Ma'am." Luna chuckled. Meadow's face didn't move. "You're serious?"

"Yes. He's a spoiled child. And this new initiative he has in his head is going to drive me crazy."

"Have you thought about it seriously?"

"A record label? I'm about to tell you like I told his ass...this was Freya's dream and I feel like I'm stepping on it."

"I can be the headlined artist on said label. Meadow, you're making this harder than it needs to be. Let's do it!" Freya waves her sister off. "Seeing that I'm rebranding as a whole, a new label is probably needed."

"Okay..." Meadow thougth about the proposal that sat on her computer half finished. I don't have time to hear his mouth about it.

A few days later, the Freeman sisters piled in the limo and headed downtown to the expo. Freya's face card got them in without a second thought.

"This is the first time I've left my baby. I need to FaceTime the nanny to make sure he has enough milk and his bink!" Luna has a meltdown in the middle of the aisle.

"Ma'am. Marcus and Scar are also at home. Let's do this." Meadow reminds her.

"Still! Let me FaceTime just for a moment."

Her sisters leave her standing there on the phone with her baby and the nanny for a moment.

Each sister has her bag of goodies and front row seat. The crowds are all over. Women learning new techniques, exchanging business cards. "Damn, fuck a label. We need to have our own brands in this." Luna pulls on Freya's arm.

"Feeling better I assume?" Meadow throws shade.

"Fuck you. When you become a mommy, you'll understand."

"Anyways. Billion-dollar industries and you're a real threat if you can do hair, skin, nails, and makeup." Meadow added. Her mind started moving around. "I wonder if Jireh would wanna..."

"One thing at a time." she stopped her sisters before they took off with ideas and left her behind.

"Somehow I feel like there's more than one way to say that." Meadow shakes her head at the irony.

The doors open for the main attraction. Famous Youtubers sat at their tables ready for the panel. Freya takes her seat in the front row next to her sisters.

The room exploded in screams when the lights landed on Onyx Marshall. She waves to her fans. "I love y'all too." she laughs. The question session begins, only ten people would get a chance to ask something. Freya is impressed with how authentically humble she was. The sisters take a note of that.

Freya is handed the mic. Onyx's mouth hangs for a moment. "Good afternoon. As you know, my name is Freya better known as Flame. And I'm here..."

"Of course, Fl-Freya. It's an honor." She spoke into the mic.

"I was hoping if you'd be my full time makeup artist."

Onyx clutched her chest while sitting in front of the table. "I would be honored!"

Freya chuckled for a moment. "Perfect."

Meadow got her booking email and started the process to bring her on the team. The sisters leave the expo with some cards and plenty of exposure for those who needed.

Two weeks later, Onyx drove on the 500K with her approved pass. Freya was doing a bigger show to give her fans something before she goes out for maternity leave again.

She parked and made her way up to the estate. A maid answered the door with a surprised smile on her face. "So nice to finally meet you." The woman complimented her. Meadow met her in the foyer and blinked in shock. Malik and Kingston sat at the bar sipping a beer each.

"I'll be right back." She assured Onyx. "Freya! Lu!" Meadow ran up the stairs

"I can't believe Freya is back." Malik blurted.

"What you mean she's in a wheelchair?" Luna held her baby.

"I mean..." Meadow waves her hand.

"Is there a problem?" Onyx asked nervously. "I don't expect you all to accommodate me." She wheeled back.

"No. That's not the issue. How we get you upstairs is." Freya laughed.

"Wouldn't she just walk?" Malik blurted without looking.

"I do have a cane." Onyx pulls the object from her backpack. He does a double take when his eyes landed on Onyx. Wow, he thought.

Luna and Meadow help Onyx up the stairs to get started.

"The best is what I strive for." Freya gives her a blocked hug.

"You don't need much. This glow is...everything." Onyx complimented her. She stood with the cane in one hand in front of the vanity and pulled her materials out.

"No! I have it." Onyx insisted while holding her cane and rolling bag of makeup. Her cane misses a step and she's falling forward. Malik leaves Kingston at the bar to catch the her before she tumbles completely down the stairs.

"Miss..." he holds her hard against his chest. Sparks explode all over his body at the same time. Malik looks down into Onyx's eyes... her hand holding the cane tightly. Her face flushed in embarrassment.

"Would you let go of my arm please?"

"I-I, Malik Minnelli." He clears his throat shyly.

"Onyx Marshall." she steadies herself on the solid ground. Her face is heated. He is beautiful. "Thank you." She reaches the step with her good side.

He walks her to her car. "I was hoping I could get your...number."

"I would...but men don't like cripples for real." She closes her door and cranks up, using a joystick to maneuver the car out of the parking lot.

Meadow's smile is dashed when she sees the quick sadness on Malik's face. She doesn't ask what happened.