Chapter 5: I'm done.

March 19th, 1989

March 19th, 1989. 11:52 A.M.

The atmosphere of Tulsa has changed over the past week or so with a nice bout of rainfall. The grass was no longer dead and bushes weren't rotting in the ground. It has an early summer spurting of flowers upon the powdery soul with fresh sunlight illuminating on the green spheres of land.

Even the air seemed easier to breathe with lingers of hydration still mellow in the lungs. I rested in the yard sprawling all morning long while Darry clipped the bushes and cleaned up the weeds.

I harboured immoral feelings. Our age difference was seven years apart and he was more like a father figure than an older brother. I couldn't help the warmness upon my chest or the pulse in my fingertips.

Darry stands back, satisfied with his work. His hair was uncombed this Sunday morning. His shirt flutters against his sweaty skin with each gust of wind. I think about all that he has done for me over the years and how I am lying to him about the job.

He stalls over to me, then groans as he falls down on the grass. "We haven't spoken much of late." he reminded me. We've both been busy with work and me with school. Darry is a roof tiler and I vend dope.

"True." I mumbled unconsciously pulling strands of grass from the dirt.

"I have some exciting news to tell you. I've already mentioned it to Soda and Pony." he says. I drown in heart palpitations, I sort of knew before he even mentioned it, "I proposed to Kate."

I sat up fast then held my knees against my chest. I tried to steady myself as I felt the world was ending around me. I should've known she would nab him. "I forgot. I have a tonne of homework to do." I lied and rushed into the house. I prayed he wouldn't follow me.

Darry was still laying there when I peaked out of the bedroom window at him. I didn't want to believe it. They've been dating for around three years now. It was all too soon for me. I had to keep reminding myself over and over that I had to be happy for them.

I found myself face down on the pillow. I screamed until my throat was raw. I was just a baby compared to Kate. How could he ever want someone like me?

An unusual sound from the window made me jump out of my skin. I glanced up to see a guy from my school standing with an arm over the window ledge. He glared at me with beady, swollen eyelids. "What the heck are you doing!?" I jeered.

All I could think of to do was throw a shoe at him. He shielded his face from the impact."Hey!" he moaned, "Watch it!"

"You watch it! This is my bedroom!" I scoffed, struggling to rip off my other shoe. He waved his hands to try and stop me from throwing it.

"I've been told to come to you for a good time." he insisted, it only sounded worse. I was absolutely disgusted with this guy. I mean how dare he.

"I'm not that type of girl!" I objected.

"Listen babe. You ain't you my type. I'm not into little girls myself." cleared up the kid.

"Get out of here!" I growled, throwing the other shoe straight at his head. It missed and flew out of the window. "God damn it." I cursed.

He steps away from the window and retrieves it for me. "All I need is about an ounce."

I groaned out loud. In my bag all I had was half ounce parcels. I found the envelope that Brian gave me and forgot I hadn't opened it yet. I place it aside, "I've only got halves." I say handing them over in return for a hefty fee for irritating me.

"Don't come back." I sneered as he walked off as a happy customer. I fall back onto the bed with the envelope in hand. I had every intention to rip it open but I dialled up a number on the phone instead.

"Hello?" Dallas answered on the other end.

"You won't believe what just happened. I was just hanging out in my bedroom when Jonah f***king Botwin comes to the window and wants some dope." I said. I couldn't believe it even though it just happened. It sounded stupid even when I said it out loud.

I juggled the phone between my shoulder and ear as I opened up the envelope. Dallas just cackled, "And?" he said. It wasn't a big deal to him.

"And since when was my bedroom a drive thru for your customers? If Darry saw him it would be all over!" I spat back. I didn't sign up for this. Dallas knew that it was dangerous to have people come over to me, especially around Darry.

"Well, did you sell anything?" asked Dallas. That was all he cared about. "What do you want me to do? Put some warnings on the dime bags that say do not go to little Jade's bedroom window?" he thought it was a big joke.

"You guys never take me seriously." I objected. I could hear some laughter in the background which only made my anger rise higher. "You know what? I don't want to be a part of this." I surprised myself by saying that.

I hung up before he could say anything more. I finally pulled the contents of the envelope out. What stared back at me was a cheque with $2. I scrunched the paper into a ball and threw it. The boys always played mean, but this time I took it personally.