Chapter 19: Home Bound.

April 26th, 1989

April 26th, 1989. 4:03 A.M.

In the midst of the darkness, Brian swept into the tent, frantic and violent. "Get up! We have to go NOW!" he commanded with a sense of urgently. I stuffed my head under the pillow to muffle the groans of despair from the sleep deprived who stayed out until only a few hours ago.

Brian trembled as the stress case tendencies inside of him flipped out, "Some motherf***r tipped off the management. Security is trying to find us!" he spat furiously.

In the distance partiers continued to jam out to music, besides that, I began to hear voices. I wondered if it could be them looking for us or if my imagination was running wild, thanks to Brian and his worrying.

Dallas calmed Brian down with a good ole slap in the face, "You need to level yourself out, man."

Brain was too far gone by this point. He began shoving clothes and handfuls of cash into his pockets. He would then launch on whoever was still in their beds, screaming at them to get up and pack. I swing my legs over the edge of the bed, and throw on a jumper, knowing this wouldn't end well.

April 26th, 1989. 8:35 A.M.

The seven of us trudged up hills and onwards to the nearest train station. No buses ran this early in the morning, so it was a good few miles to hike. I would never truly know if anyone knew about us selling dope at the festival, or if Brian let his anxious thoughts get the better of him.

It had been raining over the course of the night, so the field was a swampy mess when we fled in the early hours. By the time we made it to the closest train station, the mud on my clothes had dried and stiffened.

All of us were exhausted, and overheated from the sun belting down on our skin. I had almost forgotten about what had happened between Dallas and I. Too much had happened this morning, it hadn't crossed my mind until he actually tried to catch my attention and speak to me.

I found myself speeding up ahead, and completely ignoring his advances. My heart hurts... I didn't know what I expected from him but it was so painful for me. I could barely bring myself to look at him. 

April 26th, 1989. 9:28 A.M.

The train ride back to Tulsa station was quiet. I don't think anyone felt in the mood to mess around. I pressed my face against the cool glass window. I didn't like being alone with my thoughts for too long, but I hadn't any choice with Brian occupied. Talking to him meant Dallas was right besides him.

Lance, Roffe and the twins gave me no indication that they liked me, so I stayed clear of them the best I could. Times like these I wish I had more female friends. 

I knew I had to think of a reason for Darry to ever trust me again, but I fell flat. I didn't deserve his respect or trust ever again after what I had pulled this weekend.

In a weird way I am glad I went and on the other hand, I wish I would've stayed home. The extra cash was good enough but the price of potentially ruining a close friendship was too much to bear.