Chapter 22: Letter To The One I Loved.

April 28th, 1989

April 28th, 1989. 7:27 P.M.

As Kate wipes down the last part of the counter, she grabs the broom and starts to sweep, noticing a piece of paper on the ground. She picks it up, thinking it was a bill, instead she realises it is a letter.

I wrote it out of pain and pure anguish. It was meant to be discarded but I never got around to throwing it out. I wasn't planning on showing it to anyone, I just scribbled it down one afternoon.

The shock registers on her face as she scanned down the words;

Dear Darry,

I wish I could begin to tell you how much you saved me. I was lost before you came into my life and showed me how good it could be.

You deserve to know the truth. I hope you don't see me as young, naive and hopelessly in love with you. The truth is... I'm all those things.

It has been killing me to keep this all to myself for the past few years. It's even been hard to come to terms with.

I don't take love lightly, so please know this isn't just a phase.

Love from Jade.

I was sitting at my desk when I heard the faint knock at my door. Kate stepped in and placed herself on the bed. I wanted to tell her to leave but she gave me the letter.

In all the emotions that coursed through me, I burst into tears. I felt the overwhelming need to be violent. I felt lost, scared and alone, all at once... I threw myself onto the mattress, shrieking in distress.

Kate lays a comforting hand on my back as I muffled my own screams into the pillowcase once again. I kicked and flung myself about with pure discomfort.

I began to realise how foolish I was. I thought I was oh so tough because of the job I had, but deep down I was terrified of the world. Yet Kate stayed with me. She didn't leave until I calmed down. No matter what I said to her. She was there for me. 

April 28th, 1989. 8:02 P.M

Soda and Darry arrived back home, arguing over who had the most strength. Kate takes him aside and hands him the letter. She bits her fingernail as he reads it. Darry furrows his eyebrows and crumbles the paper in his fist, "Ridiculous." he huffed, being dismissive towards Kate.

His heartbeats became irregular... he didn't understand that he was in shock. He took a beer from the fridge, but his head kept racing. Darry begins questioning our relationship and pieces together the hate I have for Kate. It all comes flooding back to him.

Kate follows him back to the living room where Soda was, "You have to go talk to that girl, Darry. This is serious." she tells him.

"It's nothing. You're blowing this out of proportion." he dismisses again, not wanting to face the reality of the situation.

She rubs his arm to comfort him. It was he who had to come to the conclusion, she could only lead him there. Darry glances at Soda, who averts his eyes. He couldn't believe it. The note was real.

I heard his footsteps coming to my bedroom, and sat upright, "We are not doing this!" he spat, throwing the crumbled up note onto the bed. I scrambled to retrieve it, bursting into tears as soon as I did. Darry steps onto the porch, needing some fresh air.

He ran his fingers through his coarse hair. His hands trembled, so he steadied himself on the wooden beam, then slipped onto the top step. It was all becoming too much for him. He couldn't handle the stress anymore. Even his chest ached.

He closes his eyes, and rests his head on the beam in an attempt to centre himself again. The fly screen opens then slams shut. He feels the familiar presence of his brother taking a seat beside him.

"It'll be alright, Darry." breathed Soda, trying to console him.

Darry looks at him in the face, "You knew all this time?" he asked.

Soda looked down, then back up to him, "Everyone knew.." he nodded.