Chapter 27: Mr Right.

May 22nd, 1989

May 22nd, 1989. 6:31 P.M.

Us girls stayed behind at the house. It was our job to patch up all the cuts and scrapes that the boys came back with. Until then we lounged around the living room.

I glanced over to Kate, who was sitting on the ground with her knees up to her chest. She hadn't been exposed to this type of thing before. I glide down the wall, and sit with her for comfort. I was beginning to warm up to her. 

It was us on one side. Lynn sprawled out on the couch with the television on, hogging the remote. Lisa filed down her nails on the armchair, while Evie painted her toes. Sally, on the coffee table, flicked through a magazine.

I was enjoying the silence, but that didn't last long. Lisa stared at Kate with disgust, "And what do soc girls do?"

"Oh, we don't usually get involved with the rumbles." replied Kate.

Lisa, Evie and Sally snickered at her. Kate averts her eyes downwards. I could tell she wasn't comfortable. "She doesn't drink. She doesn't swear..." sang Sally, "...Doesn't rat her hair!"

The girls laughed. Kate shakes her head at them. "Oh shut up!" I blurted out. Immediately, Lisa jumped from where she was and stormed up to me. I slowly stood up with her in my face.

"You say something?" she seethed, shoving my shoulder.

"Are you forgetting where you are!?" I gripped her hair, tugging it until she shrieked, "This is my house!"

Lynn groaned sickly, "Will you both shut the damn hell up!" she cried, snapping at us. Her face was paler than usual. 

She slowly lifted herself from the couch, and stumbled to the bathroom. Lisa and I returned to where we were. I had decided to let it go. She wasn't worth it.

Lynn had been in the bathroom for a while now. She started to vomit inside, so Sally went over to see how she was. Instead Lynn told her to piss off.

"I bet she's pregnant." said Sally, rolling her eyes as she lowered to the ground near Lisa.

"Knocked up by Dallas." Evie giggled. My ears perked up when I heard his name.

"Well she ain't special. Dallas has been all around town." Sally exposed.

I felt a clench in my chest... as Lisa spoke on, "Since when did he sleep with you, Sally?" she asked.

"It was just last week, it was."

I kept my cool, but inside I was screaming... Maybe I wasn't as special as he made me out to be. Lisa and Evie stare at each other, "And he calls us easy." 

May 22nd, 1989. 6:42 P.M.

I managed to slip away from the house without anyone questioning me. I couldn't bear to be in a room with those girls much longer, I needed to escape. I kicked a bottle cap along the side of the road, as the wind whistled among the trees.

I felt as miserable as I looked. Dallas wasn't Mr. Right... I had to stop convincing myself that he was. For some reason, I believed he loved me. I couldn't tell if it was from my lack of affection growing up or if I was just mistaking friendship for love.

The gloom overcame me with tears folding down my cheeks. Our relationship was beyond friendship at this point. In my eyes we had made love. I wasn't even his girl. Lynn was his girl. I was just another side piece.

I'm spooked by the revving engine of a speeding car. I ducked behind a row of bushes as the hollering vehicle filled with socs drove past. It was as if everyone on earth had a purpose besides me.

There was no way I would return home tonight. I couldn't stand being around everyone so happy, so excited about the rumble. I couldn't stand them kissing in front of me. So damn in love. It would kill me to see Dallas.

I had to find somewhere else to go, and the only place I could think of was his house.