Chapter 32: The Call.

May 29th, 1989

May 29th, 1989. 11:33 A.M.

Within three days, the boys moved on quickly and found a new house. There was no point in standing around, waiting to be hit again. It was a win-win, as the guy renting out the place to them was a customer, so for the lowered price of some weed, they got lower rent, and more security.

I helped them out this weekend, Darry let Brian borrow his truck, and we drove down to the post office. He had to handle some business, so I waited outside.

I felt the urge to ask him about the other night. He hadn't mentioned anything, but it was still eating me alive. I just had to find the right moment to ask him. I didn't want it to be weird between us... if he doesn't remember, it's best if he never knows. 

I got out of the truck, Brian was taking longer than expected and there was a garden stall set up. I strolled along, smelling the fresh flowers as I waited. At the news stand beside it, I noticed three familiar faces on this morning's newspaper. On closer inspection I realised it was the men who held me at gunpoint.

Above their photos was the headline, 'Shocking death of drug dealers.' and besides that was another paper, 'Six men gunned down. Drugs involved.'

A heavy feeling in my stomach grew. I just couldn't believe it. I'm in such a shock. I'm sure the others knew about this. I won't bring it up... although I knew things were more dangerous than I thought.

I had met and talked to a hitman. I had gotten six people killed. Six people were just doing what Brian and Dallas were doing.

On the ride back to their place, I felt a rush of cold settling in me. It was as if I didn't really care for those deaths. The shock was over... and I didn't really feel... anything. 

May 29th, 1989. 12:17 P.M.

I helped Brian lug boxes into their new place. It was a lot more spacious and clean than the other one. Dallas was in the kitchen, on the phone with someone. I didn't know where we stood, so I decided to stay clear from him.

The boys have been making good money, so could afford all the new furniture. They also got new locks on the doors and windows, plus added security features such as outdoor cameras. I didn't understand why they didn't do it sooner.

"You moved even further away from me." I complained, instead of being a ten minute walk, it was now a full twenty minutes.

"Far away from everyone. It's to avoid walk-ins. Don't know when old Darry or trouble making Two-bit might walk in. We don't need them snooping around, now do we?" he told me.

"Guess not." I shrugged, peaking around to see what Dallas was up to.

He violently bashes the phone into the wall, and curses to whoever is on the other line.

"Stop it!" Brian yelled out to him, "You're going to break the damn thing!"

Dallas sticks his finger up at him and turns around to continue the call. Brian gestures for me to come closer, "He's been on the phone all morning to Lynn." he says in a hushed tone.

"Another argument?" I asked. Dallas and Lynn were always having a fight. They'd break up and get back together every few weeks or so.

"She's pregnant." Brian whispers, so Dallas wouldn't hear.

"Pregnant!" I blurted out loudly, in sudden upset.

Brian yanks me down, and inches closer, "Shhhhh." he blew.

Dallas stomped through the house, completely fuming at the ears. He grabs his keys, and storms out outside. Brian and I jumped to our feet, following him onto the lawn. He slams his car door shut, and starts the engine.

We watch as he whips into the middle of the street and speeds off.

"That can't be good." groaned Brian, returning back inside. I was at a loss for words. Dallas was going to be a father.