Chapter 13: The Truth.

April 13th, 1989

April 13th, 1989. 8:42 A.M.

Up until Thursday I kept my head down. I sure did miss the cash coming in, but I liked my freedom a whole lot more.

On the morning of the court date, nerves rattled me as I dressed up as I typically did for a day of school. As I left the house, Darry waved me down from his truck window, "Get in, I'll give you a lift." he said.

"Can't. I need to walk, great exercise, healthy even!" I lied. Darry shrugs his shoulders and goes on his way. When his truck was out of view, I turned back around and walked in the opposite direction towards the courthouse.

Along the way, I thought about how this would all play out, but I didn't have a single clue. Brain was the only one who knew, having seen Dallas held up in court one too many times in the past.

I met them out the front, before being ushered inside the courthouse. It smelt like old people and stale air. We took seats near the back, and sat through the case proceeding before Curly's turn.

When it was his turn, he's brought inside with cuffs around his wrist and ankles. It became deathly quiet besides my own heart pounding and the judge speaking.

Curly knew we were bound to be in the crowd, and what he said would be used against him, depending on if it affected us or not. It was his choice what he decided to do with the information he had.

I could feel the angst in Brian as Curly took the stand for questioning. In an abrupt turn of events, a strange man wandered up to the judge.

He was obviously disturbed, and snapped when officers tried to snatch him. His legs flew around and kicked people, causing a large commotion until he was dragged off. The judge called for a recess to regroup, much to Brian's delight.

He raced up to an official and then to a lawyer to ask about visitors for Curly. Meanwhile, Dallas and I left the courtroom. He could tell I was freaking out inside, and trying to act tough.

"Jail ain't so bad. You get three meals a day, and plenty of free time." he joked, trying to make light of the situation. When it wasn't working, he tried something new, "Listen, Jade. You're a minor, for one, and for two, you're a girl. Even if he does blab, you'll get a slap on the wrist compared to us."

I wanted to thank him for being honest, but Brian raced over and pulled me towards a hallway, "Get in there!"

"Huh!?"

Frantically Brian explained, "They said he can have someone to talk to, he picked you, now get in there and save our butts."

I pressed my clothes down before stepping inside. The room was filled with rows of seats, and thick glass between the other side. I see Curly and go over. He leered at me through the window, while I picked up the phone. "He sends me the slops." he snarled, insulting me.

I tried to ignore him, he got this way when mad, he got mean. Sometimes when we dated I would wonder if he had something wrong with him, but I know he's just a jerk. "Promise you won't say anything." I begged him.

"No hello? No kiss?" he spat.

I stared downwards, "C'mon, Curly. You dumped me."

He huffed through the phone, "I didn't dump anyone. You chose to disrespect me, it was all your doing."

"You can't put that on me, you were a lowsy boyfriend." I objected, telling him the truth about why our relationship didn't work. I felt glad he was on the other side of the glass. He could only use his words to hurt me now.

"I did worse." he muttered.

I barely heard him, "What?" I asked for clarification.

"I did worse!" he yelled, then cooled down as an officer lingered near him, "Sally's sweet a** kept me going."

It all made sense now. The lies, the betrayal. I couldn't have expected any less from Curly Shepard. "So, that's it. You cheated?"

"Your legs are locked at the knees. What did you expect? Me to take care of you till you decide to woman up!"

Outrage sparked in me. I smacked the glass with the phone, and stomped out of the room. I calmed down, sniffling and trying not to cry. I didn't want to be sad over someone like him. Not now, not ever.