Chapter 4: Count.

March 15th, 1989

March 15th, 1989. 5:42 P.M.

I was eleven years old when Darry took full guardianship over me after years of hell fire with my father who used to live just next door. I spent most of my childhood over here because he was never home, too busy getting wasted and gambling after the death of my mother.

Darry washed my clothes and fed me like I was his own child. Soda had moved out with Steve a while back so I got his room which is wedged tight between both Ponyboy and Darry's rooms.

I lounged at the kitchen table with Pony who is a year older than me at eighteen. He tapped a pen on the textbook before me, "Pay attention." ordered Pony. He's been tutoring me in Biology, or trying too. I couldn't keep my gaze off of Darry who was in the next room with his shirt off.

Pony looked over his shoulder to Darry, "I don't understand why you have to glare at him like that." he groaned. Pony took school very seriously even when I didn't. I could tell he was becoming irritated that I wouldn't study.

My vision remained on the honey coloured stud in the living room. I tried not to act like a freak but it was hard. It was those eyes of his. Darry had unique eyes like clear iced gems. His personality matches them perfectly, people often say that when he matches eye contact with you that a chill will dart across your nerve endings.

He was so dreamy, "Maybe it's because he is tall." I tilted my head to the side, to get a better view of his formation. I must've noticed how wide my mouth was gaped open because Ponyboy had seen enough.

"Stop with that drooling." he seethed repulsively. "Boys will not get you into a decent college." he lectured. Ponyboy had just been accepted into Harvard, and wanted the same for me.

"I'm sorry. Please, sit down I will listen." I promised, shifting my wandering gaze downwards to the textbook. I secretly caught one last glimpse that would sustain me for the rest of the lesson.

March 16th, 1989. 6:37 P.M.

I was nervous at the thought of speaking with Brian about the raise. We were friends and all but he could be real strict at times, and often a difficult person. Out of the two bosses, he was by far the strictest even worse than Dallas was. It surprised me because Dally was typically the hard one.

They're both equal partners in this. I call them boss one and two. Brian is the brains behind the operation. He knows how to balance the books and somehow manages to keep it all under the radar. Whilst Dallas had street smarts and ran the sales side of things.

The streetlamps flickered as I strolled up the drive to the sound of music blasting from within. I could hear it from down the block, knowing it had to be them. I dumped my purse on a chair as I entered the house.

Tim and Curly were scaling dime bags at the time. They looked up when I closed the front door. I noticed Brian wasn't in the room, "Where is Brian!?" I yelled over the sound.

Both of them leaned forward, "Huh!?" they screamed in sync. Nobody could hear each other over the music, so I went around to Brian's bedroom. I walked in without knocking, he wouldn't have heard it over the obnoxious rock on his radio anyhow.

The last time I came in without knocking first, I witnessed a humiliating scene involving his left hand and semi vertical member. Afterwards he wouldn't even glance at me, let alone look me in the face for a whole month.

At closer inspection I could hear him singing along to the words inside the shower. Maybe he played it so nobody would hear him. I sat on the armchair for a beat before he emerged from the bathroom with soaked hair against his neck and a towel around his lower half.

Hot steam flooded from the creaks of the door. He was still singing out loud like no one was there. I cackled and titled my head to the side, waiting for his attention.

After a few moments he catches me in the corner of his vision, and freezes in place. Brian twisted the knobs on the stereo, it scratched through the stations until eventually shutting down. I clapped my hands together, "Bravo!" I called, "You have a wonderful voice."

I wondered why he didn't sing in his band. Brian played bass guitar with three others on Friday nights at Buck's place. He sure did have the voice for it. "Jesus Christ!" he snarled, attempting to steady his breath again, "You scared the hell out of me. Learn to knock, kid."

I laid back on the couch. "Do you mind?" he asked. Brian covered his nude body with a towel from my vision. I smiled unevenly at his attempts.

"I'll block my eyes." I groaned, covering them with my hands. "I don't know why I have to. I mean I've seen it before."

"Do not remind me." Brian paused, "I haven't shaved anyhow." he exposed with unease. I couldn't help but burst into laughter. I had to bite my tongue before I went overboard.

"You shave it?" I asked humorously. I removed my hands from my eyes, he had pants on now. He tightens a belt around his waist.

"Jade. Why are you here?" strained Brian, who was growing slightly more irritated with every passing moment. He wanted to change the subject to a more business level.

"Well. I was thinking that... you know... I worked hard this week..." I started with an attempt to beat around the bush but it wasn't coming out easy. Brian gives me a satiate stare, so aimless like he desperately needed me to get it over with.

I realised that I had finally seen the side that other girls saw in him. He had deep bedroom eyes which lured you in, even when you didn't want them to. I almost got lost in them but managed to redirect back to the main point, "I want more cash for my services. I already spoke to Dallas and he told me to come to you."

"Your services, huh?" he licked his lips and shifted his back against the window, "Well. I have to respect a girl who speaks her mind." he said. I thought I was about to get the raise but then he added, "Tell me. Would you also like me to give Tim and Curly pay raises? I mean you do a lot less work for the same payment."

"C'mon Brian." I fluttered my eyelashes, hoping that it would give me more brownie points with him. "You can't say no to me." I even tried the soft voice approach. I almost believed it worked too.

Brian rubbed his mouth with a questionable expression. "That cutesy act ain't going to work on me. Nice try though."

My face dropped at his reply. "You're a hard a***!" I jeered heading for the front door.

As I'm about to leave Brian appears with an envelope and hands it over to me. "You need a ride?" he asked. I pocket the envelope with girlish glee.

"Nope. I think I will walk." I ambled outside and off down the street feeling a sense of accomplishment. I had a decent walk until I hit home but that's how I liked it. It gave me more time to think.