57. Hopeless

Chapter 57

Tessa's POV

(A week later)

Get out of the fucking way, I thought as I battled the 'rush hour' of the corridors of school as everyone piled to get out after the final bell had rang. I swear when you're in a rush or need to get somewhere, all the slow walkers just happen to be in front of you.

"GET OUT OF THE WAY PLEASE", I heard a loud voice that could have only belonged to Louis. I turned around to see him barging through everyone with Christina in tow. "Come on Tess", he smiled, grabbing my hand and dragging me too through the crowds, making it out to the gates faster than we'd ever done in our history of secondary school.

"Thanks Louis", I smiled as wide as I could.

"No problem, you going to see Dan now?" he asked, to which I nodded.

Dan had been in the coma for a week and a day now, and I was beginning to go crazy without him. The doctors had warned he may have suffered brain damage, which was so difficult to take in. I hadn't at all been prepared to be told that.

"Tess?" Christina asked, waving her hand in front of my face.

"Huh? Oh sorry Chris, I keep zoning out", I apologised.

"It's okay", she smiled. "I asked if you know when he's coming out of the coma?"

"We don't know right now if he'll even wake up at all", I replied back, taking a shaky breath.

"Shit Tessa", she said, immediately engulfing me in a hug. "He'll wake up, don't worry. He's got to"

I smiled sadly, then broke the hug. "Sorry guys I really have to go"

"It's alright, send our love to Dan. You know we're here for you", Louis said firmly.

I nodded, smiling appreciatively, before turning to walk down to Kyle's car parked up by the kerb. As soon as I got in the car we sped off along the busy roads, both impatient to get back to Dan's side.

When we reached the hospital, Kyle let me get out first to go straight up to Dan, so he could park the car up. Knowing the route so well now, I walked through the maze of corridors to Dan's room where he was now instead of the ICU.

"Hi Dan", I greeted, as I walked in. "I've just finished school for the day. Kyle's gone to park the car, in case you wondered where he was. How're you doing? Not too bored I hope", I'd kind of gotten used to chatting to him as if he were awake now, although it was still very weird.

Dumping my school bag on the floor, I sat down in the comfy chair next to the hospital bed. Dan having his own room was much better than the ICU, mainly because the nurses had put in an extra comfortable chair for me. My favourite of the nurses, Stacey, was a big fan of Bastille and always made me laugh when she pretended to fangirl around Dan or the guys. She was the one who'd first decided to get me a more comfortable chair, and me and my bad back were grateful.

"Your hair's looking a bit dodgy today", I said, leaning forward to inspect his famous quiff. "It's deflated"

Awkwardly, I managed to brush his hair up so it resembled the mighty quiff it was just over a week ago. His hair looked so dark because of how pale he was now, and he almost looked like a vampire. He'd also lost a lot of weight already, it was scary to think how much he'd actually lost in such a short amount of time.

"There you go", I said, fluffing up the bits at the side. "You look like Dan now, not like a crazy hobo"

Sighing, I sat back in the chair, fiddling with a loose thread on my blazer. It was hard acting so normal when this was all so abnormal.