23. Perfect Day

Chapter 23

(A few days later)

Tessa’s POV

I walked over to our mail box in the lobby of the apartment block, checking to see if we’d had any response yet about my surname change. We’d sent the forms off a few days ago and it was now Saturday, so I hoped it was there. Opening it up using the key Dan always gave to me to check the post, my eyes widened as I spotted a very formal looking letter sat on its own. I quickly grabbed it and locked the mail box before dashing back up to our apartment. 

“DAN! DAN! DAN!” I cried as I flung the door open.

“Tessa! Tessa!” he mimicked, turning to see me from me the lounge.

I shut the door and walked over to him, showing him the envelope.

“I think this is it”, I beamed.

“Open it!” he said excitedly.

I sat down next to him and he put his arm around my shoulders as we both looked down at the envelope in my hands. I carefully opened it and pulled out a couple of formal letters both addressed to Dan but concerning me.

I scanned my eyes quickly over the first one and I immediately came across the sentence I’d been anticipating.

…your child’s surname has been approved and successfully and legally changed from Tessa Ebony Wilson to Tessa Ebony Smith

I traced my finger over that line and then looked up to see Dan had tears forming in his blue eyes and was smiling. He said nothing but wrapped me into a hug and I grinned like an idiot into his chest. After a few silent moments he pulled away and took the letter from my lap and read it for himself. 

“Well”, he said croakily. “You’re a Smith now Tess”, he smiled. 

“Finally”, I chuckled.

“I’d better take this big brother shit serious then”, he laughed, causing me to laugh too.

“What happens now?” I asked.

“Well, I’ll inform the companies and organisations that hold your personal details so they can change your surname on their records… and then I guess you really and truly are a Smith. That is until you get married when you’re older”, he said a little sadly.

“Dan!” I laughed. “No way am I getting married! No offense but boys are idiots!”

He tried to look hurt but I saw a curve of a smile form at the side of his mouth.

“Sorry!” I laughed and he burst out laughing.

We decided to go for a walk and Dan bought me an ice cream from the little wooden café in the park. Even though it was very nearly Winter I still enjoyed a good ice cream. After having a stroll around the park and feeding the ducks at the pond side like we used to do when we were younger we headed home to get ready to visit Dan’s mum and dad to tell them the big news.

I pulled my navy duffel coat on over my woolly jumper and slipped my feet into my tatty converse before grabbing my phone and the letter from the lounge. I walked out to the door to find Dan waiting and we left the apartment to walk down to the car. 

“Tessa Smith”, Dan said, as we got stuck in the usual London traffic. “Still can’t get over how wicked that sounds. Really, really suits you”

“Maybe it was meant to be”, I said.

“I think it was. I think you were always supposed to be in my family”, he replied.