10. Bedtime Stories

Chapter 10

Dan’s POV

(A week later)

I could hear Pompeii being played on my piano. And for once it wasn’t myself who was playing it, Tess had got into a routine for the past few days of playing the piano in the music room for an hour or so every day. She’d told me music was her medication. I had to admit I agreed; the pain medication the hospital had given us was brilliant in aiding her physical injuries to heal, but playing the piano had certainly aided her mental recovery. If she was feeling angry about everything that had happened, she’d crash her fingers down onto the keys and play a vicious tune to allow her feelings to flow out in musical notes. If she was feeling upset about it all she’d play a sad song she knew or I’d play Oblivion with her. 

I didn’t tell her, but I had recorded some of her playing and had sent it to Will, Woody and Kyle. They thought she was fantastic. I felt like a proud parent, showing off their kid’s amazing talents. 

I wandered to the music room, a mug of tea in my hand. I leant in the doorframe watching her. When she ended the song, adding a nice little tune at the end and I cheered.

“Wicked Tess!” I cried.

She turned round, blushing crimson. “Thanks Dan”, she smiled.

“You’ll be great onstage”, I said, making it purposely absent-mindedly and then wandered off. I smiled to myself as I heard her feet quickly pad up behind me.

“What?” she said, pulling the back of my t shirt.

“You’ll be great onstage”, I repeated, trying not to smile.

“Dan! I’m not going to be onstage with you guys!” she cried, and I kept a straight face. “Oh crap, you haven’t arranged something have you?!” her face went slightly white.

I shrugged, walking down to the living room and putting down my cup of tea. “Dan!” she cried.

I burst out laughing and she hit my arm gently. “Your face!” I said, between laughs.

“Oh my god Dan, I actually thought you’d like arranged something where I’d have to perform onstage. Please don’t do that again, you scared me!” she cried.

“It was funny though”, I smirked.

“It wasn’t”, she replied.

“It was”, I said.

“It wasn’t”, she said.

We carried on this argument until I gave in, laughing. “Your pianist skills were exceptional then though”, I told her.

“Thanks”, she said quietly. “You’re better though!”

I shook my head, smiling at her. She always under-estimated herself.

“So, Tess, I’ve been meaning to ask you this. But when do you think you should be going back to school?” I asked. “Like, do you feel up to it yet? I know it’ll be hard going back after what’s happened”.

Her face fell a little. “Um, well I’m feeling a lot better”, she said quietly.

I could tell she was reluctant to the idea, but I didn’t want her missing too much of school. “Don’t worry, it’s okay Tess I’m not gonna force you to go back, I just don’t want you missing out on your education”, I said. “And maybe a bit of normality will help?” I added.

She nodded, looking up at me, one eye hidden by her dark hair. “I prefer being here though, can’t I be home-schooled?” she asked.

I chuckled, “Aw Tess, I wish you could”