Chapter 1

It was the first day of senior year and there was a new kid.

There was never a new kid.

The last time here had been a new kid probably had been in the second grade, when that girl with the lazy eyes and the crooked teeth had transferred from somewhere Jungkook didn't remember, in fact, he wasn't sure he had ever known to begin with. He didn't really bother to find out the minor details about everyone at YG Hit High School. He didn't need to. He was the one that everyone wanted to know, he was the one everyone wanted to be, even if, at times, he didn't really want to be himself.

Nevertheless, there was a new kid now. Jungkook saw her from down the hall. She appeared to be having a brawl with her new locker. It looked as if she was muttering obscenities under her breath as she twisted the dial anti-clockwise with a lot of force. She would be acquainted with it soon enough. Jungkook's thought, she would probably end up inside it before the day was out.

She was interesting, this girl in all strange way. She wasn't like any of the other girls who attended YG Hit. At least, it didn't appear that way. Nobody dressed like that around here. Sure, some of the girls in Jungkook's circle were quite well off and wore designer clothing, but not like that. This girl wore a tight-fitted white shirt and skinny jeans, it was only going to worsen matters for her.

Jungkook watched the girl, curiously. She had her locker opened and was pulling books from his over-the-shoulder-bag, before pacing them inside her locker. It all seemed terribly awkward and like a huge struggle. Those books were going to fall at her right away.

"What's up, Jeon?" Kim Mingyu said, appearing out of nowhere, knocking Jungkook from his reverie. He raised a muscled arm, waiting for Jungkook to greet him in their usual fashion. Jungkook bumped his fist against Mingyu's and gave him a smile.

"New kid." Jungkook felt the need to point out, as he gestured towards the girl with the perfectly long flying hair, as she studied her schedule.

Mingyu strained to see over the crowds, then he grinned. His dark eyes flashing briefly when he spotted the girl.

"Sweet." Mingyu chuckled, drawing out the 'e' sound in the word 'sweet'. "Once the guys and girls are here, we can give her a proper YG Hit High welcome!"

Jungkook forced a laugh and straightened up, put his black letter-man jacket over his chest. He knew what's a proper YG Hit High welcome meant. He had participated enough of them. He watched Mingyu began gathering the rest of the gang, as they passed by in the hallway.

There are Jungkook, Mingyu, Sehun and Bobby on football team and Yeri and Tzuyu are cheerleaders. They all are the most popular kids at school. No one mess with them, ever.

Jungkook peered across the hallway at the new girl again, still looking her schedule, her thin eyebrows furrowed, eyes narrowed, bottom lip caught between her teeth. Jungkook felt himself shiver as he thought about what was about to happen to the girl, a strange emptiness forming in the pit of his stomach. If he had been a good person, he would have told them not to do it. If he had been a good person, he wouldn't even be friends with them in the first place. If he had been a good person, he would have walked away and left them.

"Hey." Mingyu said, thumping Jungkook at his shoulder playfully. "Here you go, man."

Jungkook looked down at the cup of flavored ice that Mingyu was holding out for him to take. He eyed the purplish slush and thought about how the ice would seep through the girl's clothing, soaking and staining her white shirt, destroying her hairstyle that seems to have taken a long time to be done. Jungkook felt his stomach sinking a little, then mentally scolded himself for even thinking about this. What did some random new kid matter to Jeon Jungkook? He had never cared before, why should he start now? Consciences were for wimps, that's what he'd told himself for so long, that was what he had to believe.