Shattered (sneak peak)

Prologue

Reaching behind me I'm surprised to find his side of the bed empty. He's been cuddling me every morning and then we make love. Rolling myself over his side still feels warm, he couldn't have got up too long ago.

Standing up I grab the silk robe off the bedside table. I cover myself before following his to the living room.

He has his back turned toward me and his phone is in his hand. "Fuck, Casey. How did this happen? You told me you couldn't..." he stops talking and listens to the girl on the other end.

I make my way over to him and place my hand on his shoulder.

He moves his shoulder out of my grasp. "I'm leaving today. Bye." He says before abruptly hanging up the call. His shoulders sags. He runs his hand through his sandy blonde hair and whispers a fuck under his breath.

This isn't good.

"Are we leaving today? Do I need pack?"

"No," he breaths deeply. "You don't need to pack, Eliza."

"Oh, okay, do you want me to book a flight for next week or-"

"You aren't coming with me."

"W-what?"

He turns to me and looks into my blue eyes. I can see what he's going to say next will leave me shattered. I shake my head and the tears begin to build up. He takes a step towards me and I step back. "Don't. P-Please don't." My voice is shaky and I don't like it.

Laughing cruelly he says. "God, Eliza. You're still as pathetic as you were ten years ago. I call you and you're ready to lie on your back for me. You're nothing but a good lay. Do you think I really meant all the things I promised you?"

It feels likes he plunged a knife into my heart and I'm waiting for the moment he twists it.

"I didn't mean it all. Leaving you ten years ago was the best thing that happened to me. Truth be told you don't belong in my world." He pulls the robe open and runs his hand down my milky white skin. It makes me shiver. "Even after everything I said, you still want me." Again he laughs cruelly. "You're pathetic, Eliza."

The dam breaks and a sob leaves my throat, tears stream down my cheeks and my lower lip quivers.

Grabbing his keys off the hook he walks out of the house without looking back. I fall to the ground and cry. For the second time in my life he leaves me shattered, broken and alone. I don't think there's a way out of it this time.