Prologue

Cover by AdventurousA

I am driving my Toyota Land Cruiser when the gas light comes on.

Damn! I need to find a servo.

My daughter Santana is asleep in the backseat. A sign up ahead says exit in 5km.

I hope my car can make it.

I pull into the servo ten minutes later and fill up the car. Once the car is full in run inside and pay. I climb into the car and pull onto the road.

I have no idea where we're moving too. Santana and I packed our bags and I drove far from the town I grew up in.

Santana wakes up. "Are we there yet?"

I laugh. "No, sweetheart. Do you want to have lunch soon and play at a park?"

"Park! Park! Park!"

"Ok, sweetheart. I'll look for a park."

I drive past a sign that said 'Welcome to Endurance Bay. Population 2000.'

Great! Another small town.

Endurance Bay has 5000 less people than the town I grew up in. the Bay comes into view. I pull over to the shoulder and admire the view.

There's heaps of boat in the Bay, people fishing, mountains surround this small town.

I want to move here!

"Mum, are we moving here?"

"Do you want to move here, sweetheart?"

"Yes."

I'll have to look for a realtor. That will wait until after lunch and the park.

I pull onto the road and look for the park. The park is across the road from the Bay. I pull into the parking lot. The picnic basket and blanket are in the boot. I take them out and help my daughter out of the car.

Santana holds my hand. I shut the door and lock the car with the electronic key.

"Do you want lunch?"

"No!"

She runs to the park. I watch her go down the slide.

"Mum, can you push me on the swing."

I throw the picnic basket on the ground with the blanket and run over to my daughter. Santana climbs onto the swing and I push her.

A father and son steps out of the car and walks over to the park.

The son climbs onto the equipment and slides down the slide.

The father smiles at me. Hello, my name is Ryker."

I wave at him. "Hello, I'm Jacinta."

"I haven't seen you around here. Are you new to town?"

I nod. "Yes, do you know of any good realtors?"

"I do. But, they close at two on Saturdays."

"Are they open on Sundays?"

"No, you'll have to see them on Monday. I'll show you where it is."

I nod. "Thank you. can you show me to the motel as well?"

"Yes, it's a good thing both those places are on the way to my place."

My daughter and his son are playing together.

I shake out the picnic rug and sit on it. "Do you want a sandwich?"

"What sort do you have?"

"Ham, cheese and tomato."

I pull the sandwiches out of the basket.

"The best kind of sandwich." he takes it from me

"Thank you." he digs into the sandwich.

Santana and the boy run over to us. "I'm hungry." Santana says. I give her the sandwich. She gives the other slice to the boy.

"This is my son, Adam."

I smile at the boy.

"Hmmm, nice." he takes another bite out of the sandwich.

I laugh.

Ryker shakes his head.

"Can we go on the boat tomorrow, Dad?" Adam asks.

"Sure." he looks at me. "Do you want to come with us?"

Santana jumps around and yells. "Boat! Boat! Boat!"

"Ok, I've never been on a boat before."

After lunch Santana and Adam run around the park.

Ryker and I spend all afternoon talking.

***

Ryker helps me with the picnic basket and blanket.

He's such a gentleman.

"Thank you, Ryker."

He smiles. "You're welcome. Stay close to me on the road and I'll beep my horn when we get to the realtors." Ryker puts the picnic basket in the boot. Then he opens the door for me.

I climb into the car and buckle myself in. I start the car and wait for Ryker to start his.

Ryker pulls onto the road and I follow him. It's not too long until he beeps his horn and points to the realtors.

I give him the thumbs up.

We continue to the motel.

Ryker pulls into the parking lot. He steps out of the car. "This is the only motel in town. We don't have many people visit this town. The tourists prefer to travel to Endurance Bay by boat."

"I wasn't supposed to end up here, Ryker. When I pulled into this town it took my breath away."

He smiles. "I'm glad it led you, Jacinta."

I look at the motel.

I don't want to stay here.

Ryker looks at the motel. "Stuff it. You're coming to stay at mine."

My mouth drops open.

He closes it for me. "I have enough room at mine. It would be good to have company of a beautiful woman like yourself."

Swoon!

He opens the car door for me. I climb in and just sit there for a moment.

Santana looks at me. "I'm tired, Mum."

Ryker climbs into his car and he looks behind him as he starts to pulls away from the motel.

I don't follow him.

My head is a jumbled mess when it comes to Ryker.

He reverses his car and parks it beside mine and climbs out. "Are you coming home with me?"

Ryker touches my hand and I feel electricity course through my body from that simple touch.

I sigh. "Yes,"

Ryker climbs into the car and I follow him to his house. The higher into the mountain we drive my hands become sweaty and I'm shaking.

He pulls into a driveway. My mouth drops when I see the house in front of me. It's beautiful.

"I love this house, Mum."

"We're staying here until Monday sweetheart. Then we'll have our own place to call home."

***

Thanks for reading.

Vote/comment/share/follow me

❤️MissDredge❤️