10

At 8pm, Ryker and I put the kids to bed.

Santana climbs into her bed. "Mum, can you read us a story?"

I sit on her bed. "What story do you want me to read to you?"

Santana rises and moves over to the bookshelf. She picks up a book and carries it to me.

I look at the cover of the book and it says 'The Berenstain Bears and Too Much TV.'

I smile at the kids and begin the story. "It was a fine spring day in Bear Country. The bluebirds were singing. The trout were leaping. And except for one small cloud of dust billowing behind the school bus as it came over the hill, the air was sparkling clean."

Ryker sits on the bed next to me and he begins to read the next part of the story. "Mama Bear was inside the family's tree house fixing Brother and Sister Bear's after-school snack."

Adam and Santana lie on top of me as I continue to read the book.

Ryker read the next page to give me a break from reading to the kids.

I love just being here with my family.

I look at the kids and find them fast asleep next to me.

Ryker picks Adam up and carries him to the bedroom. He kisses Adam and the turns the light off.

Ryker holds my hand as we make our way to the living room.

I sit across from him and look at my hands.

Ryker stares at me. "Jacinta, look at me."

I shake my head. "Ryker,"

He lifts my face towards him. "Please, tell me."

I let out a breath of air. "I came home late from a night shift and I found my husband with his fists clenched. He was about to hit my one year old daughter." Tears fall down my face. "I pulled him away from her and he turned to me. He smelt of booze and I saw needle mark in his arm. He turned on me and started to beat me. I pulled myself up on the counter and I pulled out a butcher knife."

Ryker sits up on the lounge. "Did you kill him?"

I nod. "I didn't have a choice it was him or me. I wanted to live so I took his life." I look at the ground. "The way I see it. I protected my daughter and I would do it again."

I rise from the lounge and make my way down the hall.

I enter the bedroom and start packing my things.

I pick up the second bag and quietly enter Santana's room.

I pack some clothes and exit the room. I take the bags to the car and put them in the backseat.

I shut the door and enter the house.

Ryker is sitting in the lounge looking at the blank TV screen.

I make my way to my daughters room and pick her up. I carry her out of the house and place her in the car seat.

I buckle her into the seat and then shut the door.

I take one last look at Ryker's house.

I climb into the driver's seat and put my seat belt on.

I put the key into the ignition and start the car.

I pull away from the house.

I take a look into the rear view mirror and I see the curtain move.

I pull the car onto the road and drive towards the towns exit.

I look in the mirror and I see a black car following.