Thalia shoots me a look, "Leave on the mask, chances are it's not just him." I nod, facing the door impatiently.

Leo farts in the silence of us waiting and we all yell. "For the love of everything cheese," I grumble at him. He and the Stolls continue laughing their butts off and I allow a slight smirk. However, they have to pull themselves together when the entire Royal Family enters, and we have to stand still in Leo's fart cloud.

When I meet eyes with the King, I stare him down. He begins speaking, "I hear it is necessary for us to do this before Percy does his elimination."

Thalia nods, "Yes, Your Majesty, we are concerned with the timing of it all."

Percy looks at her, "Timing of what exactly?"

Jason jumps in, "When the rebels are at their weakest and lowest in numbers."

"When is this Agent 1?" The King addresses me, like a number.

I hold my head high, "Tonight."

He turns to Percy, "Can you do an elimination before our departure?"

Percy pales and looks at all of us, "If that is what will help, then yes, I will make my mind up."

The King puts a hand on his son's shoulder, "You know what my opinion is."

Percy gulps, nodding his, "Yes, sir."

The King looks at us, "Tonight, we will go. Do not screw this up."

They all turn away and walk back out of the room, Percy fiddling with his thumbs. I watch as Queen Sally stops him, and I shamefully eavesdrop. She says softly, "You don't have to listen to him, you know. Your father just wants the best for you. I have seen a deep connection you and Annabeth, don't let her go because your father doesn't like her rank in the caste system."

Percy sighs, "I refuse to get rid of her, and I have quarreled with him many times about it. However, I am scared to make a decision between girls that I haven't had the proper time with. It's just not fair."

Queen Sally rests her hands upon his shoulders, "Trust yourself, you will make the right decision. You always do."

I turn away and face the big painting of the royal family on the wall. Inhaling, I hear one last thing between the two. Percy says, "I think I will spend an afternoon with Annabeth, she often clears my head and I know I will come to a conclusion."

My eyes widen, and I exchange glances with my fellow spies who are also eavesdropping cause it's impossible not to, due to the echoing. I begin walking quickly toward the royal son and mother. They look at me and I feel blush creeping up. Bowing, I mutter an excuse and rush out of sight. I hear Percy say bye to his mother and her telling him to have a good afternoon with Annabeth. That is when I begin sprinting up the stairs. I run down the hallway and burst into my room. Katie and Andy yelp at my arrival. 

"PERCYISCOMINGINEEDTOBECOMEANNABETHRIGHTNOW," I shout in one breath.

I begin stripping and unbuckling all my knives and ropes. Katie and Clove heave a day dress over me, and I tuck my hair behind my ears. Then Katie switches out the shoes while Andy rushes all of my equipment safely to the closet. It is when I grab a book hastily and fall onto the bed in heaving breathes that Percy knocks on the door. Katie looks to me and I hold up a finger. Sitting up, I allow myself to catch my breath and compose myself. She opens the door to Percy who smiles instantly he sees me, and I realize it's a completely different look than what I saw him wearing earlier. Before he looked so pressured as if a thousand thoughts were processing in his head.

I smile back and pat the bed beside me as the maids leave the room respectfully. "So," I start. "What's the visit for?"

He sighs, falling back onto the rest of the bed, "I am supposed to make a big decision and I can only think when I'm with you. Does it matter if I sit on your balcony and think?"

I laugh, "Of course I don't mind, go sit. I'll be over here...uh, writing letters."

He nods looking pleased and takes off his stiff attire. I take his jacket and lay it on the bed nicely. He then slips off his shoes at the door and unbuttons his shirt a little bit. Finally looking more comfortable he goes to sit at the balcony. I walk over to him and do something I never usually do. I kiss his cheek softly and ruffle his hair. He laughs and I walk away with a smile shining on my face.

"Hey Annabeth?" He asks.

"Hmmm?"

"When are you going to open up and tell me what you've been hiding?" I remember our argument the night of the museum opening.

Closing my eyes, I begin taking out my paperwork for tonight and reply, "Soon, not yet. Soon." He needs to stay protected and I have to do everything in my power tonight to keep it that way. Tonight, is too risky for my liking to put Percy in that way, but it is part of the mission, and I was ordered to do so by General Hedge. I must obey.

I take spread out the papers, many being maps and pieces of information to try and get into this fortress. We were making sure it was possible all night yesterday, and now I am to study more and more. I cannot be a failure tonight as I once have in the past been. Not with Percy's life on the line.

***

Hours go by until I find myself – papers hiden the second he stood up, underneath a pile of letters – in his arms, cuddling on the bed and reading a book to him. We read about Alice's adventures in Wonderland.

"It's so out of this world yet grounding," Percy marvels. We both stay quiet for a minute, until he whispers, "I have loved this time with you. Do you think we can read together more often?"

"Yes," I whisper back.

He begins getting up, untangling himself around me, "Good, but I am afraid I must go. It is time for go for elimination." I breathe in sharply, and he catches it. "Don't be afraid, you are not leaving tonight Wise Girl."

I nervously smile up at him and he cups my cheek softly before leaving. Little does he know I am more nervous for what comes right after the elimination. I squeeze my eyes shut. I can do this.

***

Thalia dressed as me stand at the door as we do the elimination. Percy chooses the few girls who are to leave. I ignore the crying for once and focus solely on my plans for tonight. That was my mistake, which is when an alarm is sounded. I jump, looking around. Thalia runs to the hallway and signals to me. I begin running to her but stop, shaking my head. I am Lady Annabeth right now. But Agent Chase is needed more. Thalia understands, and nods. I trust her, I trust her. I trust myself.

Percy runs to me, saying I am too close to the doorway. He pushes me behind him as the guards form a wall around the entrance. I hear shouting. The alarm continues to pierce my ears but all I can think about was Percy's arm sweeping me behind him. It should be the other way around...it usually is. He's protecting me.Heis protecting me. My heart flutters.

Thalia runs into the room saying, "False alarm, everything is good." She meets my eyes.

I sigh in relief. Thalia acesses the girls and I fidget with my hands, not entirely sure what to do. Percy comes up to me, "Are you okay?"

I nod, "Yeah, just curious."

He smiles, "I just want you to be safely curious."

I laugh, "Okay."

He grasps my hands, "No, I am serious. I do not know what I would do if you were put in harm's way. It's unfathomable. I don't want to even think about it."

I inhale, "Well, I am safe right now."

He pulls me into a hug, and I look over his shoulder to Thalia. Tonight, isn't going to be safe in the slightest. And that is when I also realized, we are now narrowed down to The Elite.

 How do you think this night for Annabeth and her spies will go? 

I hope this has been a great start to the week! Have an amazing day/night wherever you are! - The Fangirl 

Disclaimer: I do not PJO or HoO. I do not own these characters. I do not own The Selection Series.