ᴘʀᴏʟᴏɢᴜᴇ*

𝐃𝐔𝐒𝐊 𝐒𝐄𝐓𝐓𝐋𝐄𝐃 𝐔𝐏𝐎𝐍 Twelve Grimmauld Place, covering every inch of the cold, deserted house in a curtain of darkness

𝐃𝐔𝐒𝐊 𝐒𝐄𝐓𝐓𝐋𝐄𝐃 𝐔𝐏𝐎𝐍 Twelve Grimmauld Place, covering every inch of the cold, deserted house in a curtain of darkness. Sirius Black had tried his best at decorating the place for the holiday, Hallowe'en, but after the loss of his daughter's mother, Marlene, the depression from being separated from his friends weighed heavily on his shoulders.

A cry came from one of the upstairs bedrooms, waking his mother's portrait.

"MAKE THAT CHILD OF YOURS SHUT HER MOUTH!" she cried from her portrait. "THREE YEARS OLD AND SHE DOESN'T KNOW BASIC MANNERS. YOU'RE A TERRIBLE FATHER, SIRIUS. I CAN'T BEAR TO LOOK AT YOU, YOU FILTHY BLOOD TRAITOR! MIXING WITH THE MUDBLOODS! DISGUSTING! SHAME ON YOU, BOY!"

Sirius rubbed his hand over his face, not in the spirit to be reminded of his failures. Can't even raise my daughter, he thought grimly. Sighing, he got up and threw a sheet over his mother's hideous portrait and climbed his way up the stairs.

When he made it to his destination, Sirius hovered at the door. Why he chose to put her in this bedroom, he didn't know.

Regulus Arctutus Black.

His late brother, Death Eater and prejudiced jerk. Sirius resented his whole family, except those disowned like him, but some small part of him couldn't bear to let go of the love he had for his brother.

He stepped into the room and soon felt a small body run to him and wrap their arms around his legs.

"Daddy! The monster came back! He came back!" Lyra Black wailed.

Sirius leaned down and picked her up, holding his daughter tightly to his chest. "No, he didn't, darling. No one is here to hurt you. You're safe here," he soothed, stroking her black hair as she sniffed into his shoulder.

"You promise?" she questioned, pulling away and staring into his eyes, grey meeting grey. "You'll always be here to protect me from the monster?"

"I promise, my dear, I promise." Sirius leant in and pressed a kiss to her forehead. "Now, you need to get back to sleep, missy! It's too late for you to be awake...unless you're planning on a career in Vampirenism. In that case, I award you for being so organised at only three years old."

Sirius poked her on the nose, causing her to giggle. "Okay, I'll go to sleep, but please stay with me?" she asked.

He nodded. "Of course, now hop into bed, 'Ra, I'll sing you a little song."

Lyra ran into her bed, pulled the covers up and watched her father intently as he sat down on her bed.

"Brille, brille petite étoile," he sang, running his hands softly through her hair. "Dans la nuit qui se dévoile, tout là-haut au firmament, tu scintilles comme un diamant. Brille, brille petite étoile, veille sur ceux qui dorment en bas"

When he finished, soft snores were emitting from his daughter. He smiled softly at the expression of peacefulness on her face, happy to witness the sight. All he wished was for Marlene to be there with them, a complete – yet slightly dysfunctional – family, merely putting their daughter to sleep.

But no, Marlene was dead. Sirius was left to raise his daughter alone with a prophecy looming over their heads, unbeknownst to the father and daughter.

He was untrusted by the Order because of his very own last name, the only ones seeming to trust him being James and Peter. But it was two people's words against an entire team of opposers. They even trusted the werewolf more than they trusted him. Remus had been in the field with one of the packs controlled by Voldemort, who is to say he didn't expose some of the Order's secrets? Sirius had done nothing to prove him untrustworthy.

Peter had given Sirius his word, and for that he was grateful. At least he had his mates to back him up. Though, Sirius had been pretty worried about Peter's whereabouts. He was meant to Floo in earlier in the day as part of his and Sirius' routine to make sure they were both safe and alive.

But it had been hours since Peter was due at Grimmauld Place, and Sirius needed to know if he was okay. The last time someone hadn't arrived on time for a check-in...

He shook his head.

Peter's still alive, he told himself.

Sirius turned to leave, but a small voice called out to him.

"Daddy? Where are you going?" Lyra asked.

Sirius swallowed the lump in his throat. "I've got to go check on a friend. I'll be back soon, I promise," he opened the door to exit her room. "Go back to bed, sweetie."

Lyra nodded and turned back to face the window and Sirius let out a relieved sigh.

Stepping onto the platform outside her room, Sirius ran a hand over his face before racing down to his mother's library. He grabbed a handful of Floo powder, threw it in the fireplace and watched as it lit up with a flickering green flame. He climbed into the flames and shouted, "Pettigrew Residence!"

And Lyra Black watched from behind the door frame as her father was consumed by the flames, disappearing before her eyes.

Little did she know, that would be the last time she would see him for many years.

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

I am currently going through and editing these chapters. Those marked with '*' have been edited. Those without, have not, and, I warn you, are not very well written.

[April 21st 2020 - April 18th 2021]